Document sizes in Illustrator CS4

Started by determined, March 10, 2009, 09:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

here's a new one that some of you may already know (DCS?). you can actually have several different artboard sizes in ONE document in Illustrator CS4. There is a new tool (artboard tool) which you can use to drag a new artboard then under document setup - edit artboard - you can set up the new size. Illustrator will assign a number to each artboard allowing you to save pdfs separately. See attached 
Murphy must have been in printing....

beermonster

Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Skryber

Yup. They came out with some cool stuff in all the CS4 apps. I'm very happy with them, unlike CS3.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

hotmetal

Quote from: beermonster on March 10, 2009, 09:39:08 AMoh hell no - purleez

I'm with you on this, Beer. Nice shiny toy to fascinate the wackadoodle designers. Bad news to production workers who have to sort out the mess. Because only a small percentage of designers will have a clue how to use these nifty multiple page sizes in Illy in a logical, comprehensible, professional manner. The rest of them will just create messes, like they did when Freehand came out with this idiotic idea. Been there, dealt with it, didn't like it one bit.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't mind it so much in Freehand or Illustrator... even CorelDraw, Ech, ech... hairball. I DO NOT like it in my layout apps... at all. I have ran into this once or twice in InDesign, and, ummm, yeah, I hate it.

I forgive you HM, but I will not stand for blasphemous remarks about my beloved Freehand. Shut up Beer. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

sheeeyat - cut off before i slag off - thats never happened

i need to lay down :embarrassed:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

determined

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2009, 08:20:45 PMI don't mind it so much in Freehand or Illustrator... even CorelDraw, Ech, ech... hairball. I DO NOT like it in my layout apps... at all. I have ran into this once or twice in InDesign, and, ummm, yeah, I hate it.

I forgive you HM, but I will not stand for blasphemous remarks about my beloved Freehand. Shut up Beer. :laugh:

they can do that in Indesign? Happy to say I've never seen it (oops, now I've done it)  :undecided:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: determined on March 11, 2009, 11:06:10 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 10, 2009, 08:20:45 PMI don't mind it so much in Freehand or Illustrator... even CorelDraw, Ech, ech... hairball. I DO NOT like it in my layout apps... at all. I have ran into this once or twice in InDesign, and, ummm, yeah, I hate it.

they can do that in Indesign? Happy to say I've never seen it (oops, now I've done it)  :undecided:

InDesign CS3 has a plug-in from a third party that will allow Desingers to do this. I have seen a few times now... and it blows.
Member #285 - Civilian

determined

say no more, say no more (nudge, nudge)   :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

determined

hotmetal

You know, DCS, Freehand was my first love. After Compugraphic, of course. But we drifted apart and I haven't seen her in many, many years. Other than the multiple page thing, which caused me a lot of trouble once upon a time (back when Macs were little things with not much memory and very little speed) I've never had a single bad thing to say about Freehand. I'd love to run into her again someday...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: hotmetal on March 11, 2009, 07:34:57 PMYou know, DCS, Freehand was my first love. After Compugraphic, of course. But we drifted apart and I haven't seen her in many, many years. Other than the multiple page thing, which caused me a lot of trouble once upon a time (back when Macs were little things with not much memory and very little speed) I've never had a single bad thing to say about Freehand. I'd love to run into her again someday...

A Ninja... and a Gentleman. I tip my hat to you sir. :wink: All is as it should be. Amen.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 11, 2009, 08:29:15 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on March 11, 2009, 07:34:57 PMYou know, DCS, Freehand was my first love. After Compugraphic, of course. But we drifted apart and I haven't seen her in many, many years. Other than the multiple page thing, which caused me a lot of trouble once upon a time (back when Macs were little things with not much memory and very little speed) I've never had a single bad thing to say about Freehand. I'd love to run into her again someday...

A Ninja... and a Gentleman. I tip my hat to you sir. :wink: All is as it should be. Amen.

So ... Hotmetal's pining away for a free hand job? C'mon ... somebody help the guy out!

What? Send him a file, that's all I meant!

DigitalCrapShoveler

HotMetal.... Kill Him! See I can say that now that you amongst the B4 Ninja Clan HM, oh yeah, go ahead and kill him though.
Member #285 - Civilian