Adobe Illustrator is evil

Started by gnubler, April 09, 2009, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

tapdn

Letterman been at it again has he???
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

ratintrap

Quote from: Foozball on April 09, 2009, 12:01:12 PMYES, Illustrator is the DEVIL!
It's the only Adobe App that I haven't been able to just learn "on the fly" ... because it's evil! :evil: Burn it, BURN it! Drive a dot matrix printer through its heart! :evil:

It certainly isn't as intuitive as Photoshop when it comes to learning it. I really don't like using it, I guess that's why I don't know it that well. If I enjoy using a program I dive right in and learn as much as I can about it. Using Illustrator seems like torture to me so it's hard to get excited about learning it.

beermonster

illy cs3 is my app of choice

i think you need to clean your cache from safari
stop farting at the poor peas
delete prefs
double check for corrupt fonts <however few you have>
see if a fonts folder inside the illy folder is corrupt

i see people re-installing quite a lot on here - ok i'm mac based, but i havent had to reinstall software for ages - i mean years.

i always find its some system thing

is there some magic like the fsck voodoo on the macs?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

Quote from: beermonster on April 09, 2009, 04:39:42 PMilly cs3 is my app of choice

i think you need to clean your cache from safari
stop farting at the poor peas
delete prefs
double check for corrupt fonts <however few you have>
see if a fonts folder inside the illy folder is corrupt

i see people re-installing quite a lot on here - ok i'm mac based, but i havent had to reinstall software for ages - i mean years.

i always find its some system thing

is there some magic like the fsck voodoo on the macs?

Ditto to the monster.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

joe i think thats twice in one day you've agreed wit me, and i think this has to stop. i mean i'd never have a roll like that so i respectfully request this stops

delooch

Quote from: ratintrap on April 09, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
Quote from: Foozball on April 09, 2009, 12:01:12 PMYES, Illustrator is the DEVIL!
It's the only Adobe App that I haven't been able to just learn "on the fly" ... because it's evil! :evil: Burn it, BURN it! Drive a dot matrix printer through its heart! :evil:

It certainly isn't as intuitive as Photoshop when it comes to learning it. I really don't like using it, I guess that's why I don't know it that well. If I enjoy using a program I dive right in and learn as much as I can about it. Using Illustrator seems like torture to me so it's hard to get excited about learning it.

way back before this was a 'real job" - i uesd to be a photoshop junkie, HATED illy.. i guess it grew on me.. now i feel like a ninja with illy and ps at my disposal.. now Indesign.. i resisted that application with everything. im comfortable in it now, but i stills got some learnin' to do..

Joe

Quote from: beermonster on April 09, 2009, 04:46:36 PMjoe i think thats twice in one day you've agreed wit me, and i think this has to stop. i mean i'd never have a roll like that so i respectfully request this stops

Well then you are just going to have to stop posting good information! :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

:tongue:

it had to happen one day i spose :toaster:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on April 09, 2009, 04:58:01 PM
Quote from: beermonster on April 09, 2009, 04:46:36 PMjoe i think thats twice in one day you've agreed wit me, and i think this has to stop. i mean i'd never have a roll like that so i respectfully request this stops

Well then you are just going to have to stop posting good information! :tongue:

beer and gnubler are in cahoots...just trying to confuse us. All will return to "normal" after Easter, I'm sure.

Just on this "Illy is too difficult" thing. There's a pattern here. People either love it or hate it. But all we're looking at is people who haven't made the leap from one group to the other yet.
I'm getting the feeling myself, because it's just starting to gel for me.

I've found these free Flash tutes invaluable. Have been jumping back in again lately.

Adobe videos

Go to "Select a Product">Illy, then select whatever topic...from crawl to moderate-running level.

...oh, and one of the best tips from beer I ever got. When you open an Illy doc, go Cmd+Opt+P. See where the creator has the "page" set; readjust as required. Sometimes explains "missing bits". Cmd+Y, (toggle), will also sometimes shed light on said missing bits.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

ohh i thought the best advice i gave ya was hit the "ignore beermonster" button :laugh:

gnubler

I have heard similar comments from people many times over the years: "Don't like Illustrator."

After I taught myself Quark I moved right into Illy. It was some months later that I finally got into Photoshop. Where I work I'm the only person who actually uses and creates vector files - my coworkers rasterize everything.

There are a huge number of features I never have and never will use in Illy, which is why I despise its bloated package. Like a one size fits all, even though the majority of people only use a small number of tools/features.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

hotmetal

I work in Illy cs4 about 80% of the time these days.

It occasionally locks up. Seems to have something to do with files from certain clients. But once it starts doing it, it does it every 20-30 minutes. I learned somewhere, maybe here, to trash the preferences and found that that was the key when it starts having its fainting spells. And yes, sometimes, but not always, it somehow takes the OS down with it, something I wouldn't have expected under OSX.

I keep a known "good" set of prefs handy and just replace the corrupt set with them, this keeps most of my settings from going back to the factory default nonsense.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

The evilness is continuing, now with my coworker's Illustrator. We have the same setup: Win XP, Illy CS1. What happens is she cannot get the Character palette to show up, even though under Window > Type > Character it's checked. Various other palettes are displaying.

I referred to this thread and we tried restarting Illy while holding down Ctrl-Shift-Alt to delete prefs and then ONLY the Character palette showed up and under the Window menu the entire list of palettes has disappeared. WTF? Restart again without holding down the key combo and same thing - various palettes, but no Character palette.

Then we tried manually deleting all the prefs in her user application data folder - still no go.

Ideas?

delooch

My pathfinder pallet would sometimes position itself off of the desktop. i dont know how, but when it went missing, id resize my desktop to a higher resolution, and there it would be, floating off by itself..

I dont think selecting "workspaces > Default" reset it back to where it was supposed to be either..