Power Layout problems

Started by beck, December 10, 2009, 08:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

Good news and bad news...

Saving the LINK files with Windows preview kept everything intact thru DVD creation & retrieval.  But....

The CIP3 files are fu _ _ ed up.  The Windows preview is much lighter, Mac is more vibrant on screen.  When checking the CIP3 that the press received, it reflected the brightness on the screen.  The duller Windows Preview item (same graphics across whole sheet) showed as lees ink needed - the brighter Mac item needed less ink...it looked like a roller coaster.  When I made a CIP3 of all the same Preview item, straight ink fountains all across the sheet.

For the life of me, I can't believe the CIP3 software relies on the Screen Preview of an image.  :blowup:

See ya tomorrow,

beck

Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Joe

Where are you making the CIP3. We used Nexus to generate it in the workflow for screening the seps? It created it's own preview there and didn't use the preview from the link files.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beck

We Export it out of Power Layout, drop it in a Hotfolder on Heidelberg's PC.

Is it usual for a CIP3's info to be based on the Screen Preview?
Joe

G_Town

Do you print out of power stepper to a rip for making plates?

beck

From PowerLayout, save PS file to Hotfolder.  We have our workflow built so that it prints an imposition proof as the TIFFS are ripping.  Check the TIFFS in DotSpy, then release to the CTP.
Joe

Joe

Quote from: beck  on December 14, 2009, 03:43:32 PMIs it usual for a CIP3's info to be based on the Screen Preview?

Not a normal preview. When we were creating them in Nexus even a normal 72 dpi preview would create huge CIP3 files. We finally settled on having the CIP3 module create the previews at 28 dpi.

beck

A couple of questions...

Where in the workflow did you put the CIP3 Module?
We've been giving them the same "size/resolution" CIP3s since the press was new in May of this year.  If we switch rez, are we going to screw up the pressroom?
Joe

Joe

In the make separations module where the one bit tiffs were created. I'm not sure what would happen with your press if you change the dpi. The guy that came in to install the software that converted the CIP3 into a format our Toshiba press could use had us to make it 28 dpi but I think that is mainly because it needed to fit on a floppy. I would leave it as is but it should be using the preview created from the seps that make plates and not a composite preview. The Nexus manual is pretty good for showing just how to do it in the workflow,

beck

I'll play with that workflow tomorrow.  I don't think I'll be able to change how the pressroom gets the CIP3 too much, without causing a whole lot of controversy.

File size is not an issue, as we send it over the network. 

Thanks, Joe.
Joe

G_Town

Quote from: beck  on December 14, 2009, 04:43:11 PMFrom PowerLayout, save PS file to Hotfolder.  We have our workflow built so that it prints an imposition proof as the TIFFS are ripping.  Check the TIFFS in DotSpy, then release to the CTP.

Can't you print to hotfolder?

You want I should send you my workflow?