It's official - Adobe's finally going all Cloud

Started by Possum, May 06, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

Oh, Adobe says it's going to be flexible with companies that restrict cloud service. I think that concern has come up here before with security conscious firms.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Thanks guys, now I would not feel so all-alone  :thumbsup:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

Slappy

After seeing the pitch a month or so ago at the InDesign Users' Group, I'm a lot less skeptical f the subscription model. I honestly don't know how it will affect people like us though, in a multi-seat environment. We're pretty much hostage to whatever our clients want to do though, especially in places like mine where they haven't bothered to push a PDF submission over live file path.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Grimace

"With Creative Cloud and Adobe Typekit®, you'll have access to over a thousand font families — all organized, searchable, and easy to add to your projects in seconds. You focus on finding the right font, and Typekit takes care of compatibility and licensing details."

I take this to mean that if you don't sign up, and don't have the font, your hosed. Why package a job when it's all out there in the cloud?
I really hope I'm wrong, but I just know the owners are gonna freak when they here we have to start paying $250 a month to keep the workstations going.
Our IT guy announce he was buying CS6 last week, I told him to wait until this Adobe maxi thing was done, but then we figured it would be CS7 and skip a year kind of thing, oh well, it's only money.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: born2print on May 06, 2013, 12:24:42 PMMaybe Quark aint so bad  :homer:

:drunk3: how bad could this be  :drunk3: that quark aint so bad?  :drunk3: it must be bad, real bad  :drunk3: we all going back to quark then  :drunk3: as our cornerstone app? say it aint so... :drunk3:

abc

Interesting with the font idea, but is it only for web fonts?

http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/529506-getting-started-with-typekit-and-creative-cloud

Typekit is available standalone or as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud service. As part of a paid Creative Cloud subscription, you'll receive a Typekit Portfolio plan with access to our full library of web fonts. (The free Creative Cloud subscription includes a Typekit Free Plan, with a subset of the fonts available.)

If you are new to Typekit, first subscribe to Creative Cloud. (If you've previously purchased Creative Suite 3 or later, you're eligible for a discount on your first year of Creative Cloud.) Then, sign in to Typekit with the same Adobe ID you used to subscribe to Creative Cloud.

Now you can begin using Typekit. Browse the library of fonts or learn how to add fonts to your site.

Note: if you are already using Typekit, you can link your new Creative Cloud membership to your Typekit account.

almaink

What we as an industry should do is tell Adobe to shove their "cloud" up their ass. If every print shop in the world did it, their software would be virtually worthless. At the very lest they should start the Partners Program back up, and offer print shops access to their print software at a substantial discount for a yearly fee. I do not need Flash, Dreamweaver or any of the Web applications, and I already have all the fonts I need, ditto on the storage and collaboration BS. I for one will stick with CS5.5, and ask for PDF's for CC files like we do for Quack files now.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Possum

I think a lot of people already did that, judging by the way the Adobe help forums were besieged by questions about CS2 apps once Adobe let go of the authorization on those apps and people started downloading like crazy. They even had to put up a special header for CS2 questions.

That's a sign of how many people aren't going on the Cloud.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: abc on May 07, 2013, 07:58:30 AMInteresting with the font idea, but is it only for web fonts?

http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/529506-getting-started-with-typekit-and-creative-cloud

Typekit is available standalone or as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud service. As part of a paid Creative Cloud subscription, you'll receive a Typekit Portfolio plan with access to our full library of web fonts. (The free Creative Cloud subscription includes a Typekit Free Plan, with a subset of the fonts available.)

If you are new to Typekit, first subscribe to Creative Cloud. (If you've previously purchased Creative Suite 3 or later, you're eligible for a discount on your first year of Creative Cloud.) Then, sign in to Typekit with the same Adobe ID you used to subscribe to Creative Cloud.

Now you can begin using Typekit. Browse the library of fonts or learn how to add fonts to your site.

Note: if you are already using Typekit, you can link your new Creative Cloud membership to your Typekit account.

Yeah, I believe those are just the web fonts. You can already do that with Googles vast library of web fonts for nothing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.