work remotely

Started by jimking, May 17, 2013, 08:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Not sure where to place this question. Has anyone contemplated working remotely, perform general prepress duties offsite? Has anyone known anybody who has done this? I would think most of my duties can be done this way using a highspeed internet. Issues I see is accessing workflows like our resold old Apogee and the cheesy "ripit" and of course making plates. Any thoughts and solutions out there such as what kind of technical support would one need at both ends of the pipe? (not peace pipe)

Fontaholic

I tend to work remotely -- body's here, mind's off somewhere else enjoying itself...  :popcorn:

But that probably doesn't help...

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

Slappy

I've done it before, and the Mgr Guy here has Logmein installed on all of the machines, Macs & even the RIP stations. In my limited experience, it's fine for getting things done in an emergency but working like that all day would be a drag. Even with high-speed connections, the lag tends to be noticeable but YMMV.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

we can do it here.
We use RealVNC on our Macs and PCs to log in remotely. Everything QG does is all remote, most of the servers have no screen or keyboard, it's the only way in most cases.
On your Mac, you need to go to your system prefs/sharing, select "remote management", on the right select "computer settings".
From there check "VNC viewers may control screen with password", type in your password of choice, then ok.
Then go to another computer and try to log in (don't do it on the orig host computer, it will freak you out).

and of course, as stated before, there is a bit of a lag, even with the best high-speed connection

HTH
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jimking

I have experienced Logmein and there is too much lag. David, is RealVNC faster than Logmein?

t-pat

I've used VNC, RDC, and Team Viewer (most recently). Was using Team Viewer last night to output a variable job. It really depends on your connection, but I like Team Viewer the best out of all of them. It's free for non-commercial use but we paid for the commercial license as it gives you more features that we'll use.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

Quote from: jimking on May 17, 2013, 09:32:15 AMI have experienced Logmein and there is too much lag. David, is RealVNC faster than Logmein?

from my experience... none are "fast".
Like t-pat, I have used Logmein, VNC, Team Viewer and a few others, it will never be a fast as being on the actual computer, but you can get things done. And like t-pat said, Team Viewer is pretty good at it.
Most are free, so download them and give them a whirl, pick the one that works best for you.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Ditto to what everyone said except if you are connecting to Windows servers you will find nothing better and faster than Microsoft Remote Desktop. Available for both PC and Macs though you cannot connect to Macs using it. You can connect to Windows servers from either a Mac or PC but can't control Macs on the other end using it. When I log into my Prinergy Server I can't really tell I'm not standing right in front of it. I don't know what Microsoft has done but you really can't tell you are working remotely...as long as your high speed connection stays high speed. If I have a good amount of work to do remotely I'll usually copy the PDF's to my local Mac and work them there then upload back into Insite to process through Prinergy and access Prinergy Workshop via the Windows server using MS RDC.

For working on a Mac to Mac remotely I use "Chicken" which is the latest version of the old "Chicken of the VNC" but no longer called than in newer versions. It seems to be faster (less lag) than LogMeIn and less buggy than RealVNC. Using something like MS RDC, "Chicken" or RealVNC means you will have to open ports on the company firewall where you won't have to with LogMeIn or TeamViewer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Thanks all for the responses. I left early from work to checkout homes for sale on our eastern shore. I checked out a small town I'm familiar with in which half the town has high speed net, the other half closer to the water doesn't. But it does sound like it is doable. Joe, I usually work Apogee from a mac but that is the client, the software and the application is loaded on a PC and the servers are also PC. I should be able to access both Apogee and the servers using the correct apps then, as long as its the host app not the client mac? Preps I have loaded on the Mac along with the Apogee client. I'm thinking perhaps I should load preps on my machine at home instead of using it remotely?

Off subject---the contract on my home fell through unfortunately. The buyer was transferred elsewhere by the fed.   :rage:

Skryber

I've used Logmein and the last 2 shops. For being free, it's great. Our 3rd shift pressman liked to eat plates. Instead of me having to go to the shop in the middle of the night, I would have him turn on the platesetter and would output what he needed from home. The place I'm at now, I did all design and ripping from home after the baby was born and had boss lady do the printing. There's lag but for what I used it for, it didn't matter.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Grimace

Quote from: jimking on May 20, 2013, 08:09:42 AMThanks all for the responses. I left early from work to checkout homes for sale on our eastern shore. I checked out a small town I'm familiar with in which half the town has high speed net, the other half closer to the water doesn't. But it does sound like it is doable. Joe, I usually work Apogee from a mac but that is the client, the software and the application is loaded on a PC and the servers are also PC. I should be able to access both Apogee and the servers using the correct apps then, as long as its the host app not the client mac? Preps I have loaded on the Mac along with the Apogee client. I'm thinking perhaps I should load preps on my machine at home instead of using it remotely?

Off subject---the contract on my home fell through unfortunately. The buyer was transferred elsewhere by the fed.   :rage:

Witness protection?

jimking

Quote from: Grimace on May 20, 2013, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: jimking on May 20, 2013, 08:09:42 AMThanks all for the responses. I left early from work to checkout homes for sale on our eastern shore. I checked out a small town I'm familiar with in which half the town has high speed net, the other half closer to the water doesn't. But it does sound like it is doable. Joe, I usually work Apogee from a mac but that is the client, the software and the application is loaded on a PC and the servers are also PC. I should be able to access both Apogee and the servers using the correct apps then, as long as its the host app not the client mac? Preps I have loaded on the Mac along with the Apogee client. I'm thinking perhaps I should load preps on my machine at home instead of using it remotely?

Witness protection?
I live in an area full of 6 figure paper pushing federal employees. I found out today the sequester stopped the buyers in their tracks. The fed put a halt to their transfer to DC.
No running for cover for me, got a new contract today!  :drunk3: