Apogee trapping for fun and profit!

Started by DCurry, April 13, 2010, 06:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I'm having trouble getting a file to trap the way I want to in Apogee. Hopefully I can properly explain what is happening. I've included screenshots of my trap settings, the results, and also the unflattened PDF that is being ripped (note that my trap size has been enlarged for visibility purposes only.)

The page contains a grayscale image that touches a solid PMS box. Sitting on top of the PMS box is another grayscale image that is set to Multiply. This image hangs slightly over the border between the PMS box and the first image, and in that area the Multiply image has 1% black dot or less, and this area does not trap. Apogee seems to think that a 1% common black dot is enough to negate the need for a trap. I've experimented with all the settings in the Trap pane of Apogee with no change in results.

So, I get rid of the 1% dot and it still doesn't trap. Further experimentation reveals that the only way to get it to trap is to flatten the transparency by making it PDF 1.3, then it traps fine (even going back to the original image with 1% background dot). This is annoying because the whole point of a modern APPE workflow is to keep transparency live!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!