Apogee screws up trapping on this file

Started by DCurry, September 12, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Yeah it's not worthwhile trying to untrap a Nexus/Artpro trapped file. It's way faster to fix the errant trap manually and resend thru the trapper as Nexus will honour your manual traps.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

t-pat

I think it's un-possible, not only not worthwhile. The slices! Oh the humanity. Anyway, not too common of a problem around here.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 11:10:03 AMSo as a fix you are flattening in Acrobat before sending into Apogee? Uggggh....

Actually, no - just re-exporting from InDesign and choosing PDF 1.3. Still, uggggh.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on September 14, 2011, 01:19:03 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 11:10:03 AMSo as a fix you are flattening in Acrobat before sending into Apogee? Uggggh....

Actually, no - just re-exporting from InDesign and choosing PDF 1.3. Still, uggggh.

Yeah, what is the point of having an APPE workflow if you have to do that? If it helps, I feel bad for you. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on September 14, 2011, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 01:23:04 PMIf it helps, I feel bad for you. :laugh:

me, too.    :laugh: :laugh:

I see transparency applied to the blur grad? Is that maybe why it's not trapping?

DCurry

QuoteI see transparency applied to the blur grad? Is that maybe why it's not trapping?

The blue box is solid PMS with a Gradient Feather applied to make it fade out. Yes, the effect is what is preventing it from trapping, but it shouldn't. The proof is that it will trap if flattened or run thru a different vendor's workflow.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Looking OK this end, dan, (I think  :undecided: ).  Zoomed-in/rendered view.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Further thought, and ImpoDave may confirm. XMF was having similar problems until about 9 months ago. Was able to signal him to chase an update over there....
It only hit me when I was looking at the screenshot. From memory though, was RGB pics trapping with Spots.
Not anything to do with the Monotone Black Pic... ?   :undecided:

PP thread_similar problem

QuoteWe upgraded but beware, we had to go back to 2.5 appe, because of a bug with drop shadows that rendered as solid blocks, we decided to go back to the older verison to avoid anymore surprises, if you would like to try the file through your own RIP, PM me and ill send it to you, it gave us a bit of a shock because we run the same job every month and the designer didnt even really look at the drop shadows on the raster email proof because it was always fine before.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

frailer, it looks like you are having the same issue Dan is having and it's not trapping here. See screenshot attached.

Joe

frailer

OK, I thought he may be having pic/drop shadow 'trapping' problems... like boxes instead, f'rinstance. That's one for Fujifilm guy when he comes.
Better look at my settings too, could be in there.   :undecided:

....nope, tried all settings. Off to the STD clinic..  (Standard Trapping Difficulties).

Joe

Does yours get trapped the same way that Dan's does...when outputting to one-bit tiffs after imposition?

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 07:08:44 PMDoes yours get trapped the same way that Dan's does...when outputting to one-bit tiffs after imposition?

Well, those zooms are the rendered, (post-imposed/plate-ready/presumably 1-bit), view. He would have to confirm that that is what Apogee's doing, as well.

Joe

I think he has already confirmed that. I guess if XMF and Apogee are both using APPE trapping it looks like you are both suffering from the same issue. For kicks, take his PDF, flatten it and then run it through and see if it traps.