Garbled font display - corrupt?

Started by gnubler, November 01, 2010, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I think people maybe under-use clean-up routines in Tools in FEX. Font cache corruptions can be an issue, apart from conflicts/duplicates. It would have been interesting to run them and then see how your fonts were then.
I run them here when my XMF Client goes whacky.    :huh:  Fixes it every time.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

I thought she was doing stuff in InDesign, native.   :undecided:  Maybe I've got it wrong.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

Quote from: gnubler on November 01, 2010, 09:04:09 AMI'm getting this garbled display of text in InDesign. Happened with plain old Arial and now with plain old Times...

yeppers, you got it right Frailer, no PDF on this one.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: mattbeals on November 01, 2010, 05:09:41 PMSend me the original PDF please.

Matt, this was in InDesign, in docs I created myself and suddenly this morning both Arial and Times went wonky on only a couple lines of text.

Deactivating all fonts and relaunching Indy seemed to clear it up. Tomorrow I'll clear out font caches and run Font Finagler just for fun.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

EyeTech

Quote from: gnubler on November 01, 2010, 09:36:05 AM:laugh: I know! The first thing I checked was the kerning value - it's 0. The screenshot is just text set in Adobe's version of Times that I pasted from an email. It happened earlier when I opened an Indy doc that I created, Arial, and saw the same crap.

Pasting from emails can occasionally produce weirdness like this...I'm too dumb to tell you why, but my guess is if you were to key the text in a fresh doc you wouldn't have the issue.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

gnubler

Eyetech, that could be valid, but the first Indy doc I opened had this wonky text - no pasting. It was a table, all set in Arial, and a few of the cells had that über-kerned text.

The second doc I created, pasted some text from an email in Times and various lines showed the same weirdness (my screenshot in 1st post)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

I get stuff like that sometimes when Suitcase automatically opens the needed fonts. Have to close the file and reopen. Also some fonts don't activate automatically. I'm sure you don't have Suitcase, but you might check if they're working.
Agreed on copying from e-mail. Some of the fonts people specify in their e-mails come from weird places.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Pone

Did you try FEX>tools>refresh fonts? I get that garbled font stuff alot with Quark but Quark is a POS.

Captain_Type

I've had kerning act peculiarly on OpenType fonts in files built by others.

I select the type, pull down the menu on the Character palette, and change OpenType from Default Figure Style to Proportional Oldstyle or something else that I like better.

Usually for me, it's been adding undesired kerning, not taking it away...so this may be a different problem.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter