Home Mac Mini problem

Started by ChrisP, February 14, 2010, 01:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisP

Hey Folks,
Spend most of my time on here lurking, but check in about 3-4 times a day. I work with Youston, and a phone call to his home yesterday had him drawing a blank. Here is the scenario:
Bought a Mac Mini in Oct. '09 from someone who bought it on a whim in '08. Never out of the box, never powered up($400, thanks Craig's List). Youston and I got it hooked up too my Sony television, and I have been using it for computing and as an entertainment center since, and I truly love it. Bought a Logitech MK300 Desktop(wireless mouse and keyboard). Everything was going great, and then Friday, all of a sudden neither the keyboard nor the mouse work, tried on several attempts to reconnect to the wireless antenna, no luck. Cold restart on the mini didn't do anything, unplugged the unit didn't do anything, fresh batteries in both mouse and keyboard didn't do anything. Needless to say I'm confused, without either the keyboard or mouse there is no way to find out what is wrong from the mini. I feel like the only thing it could be is a simultaneous crap out by both the keyboard and mouse, or the wireless antenna.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris
A rat always knows when he's in with weasels.-Tom Waits

Joe

If youston doesn't know it...it isn't worth knowing! :laugh: (Another lame sig attempt)

What happens if you hook up a USB kb and mouse? If they work I'd say something with the wireless end of the mini. Could be a hardware issue or the driver for the wireless in the mini could be corrupted. Did the wireless mouse and kb have drivers with it you could re-install? If the USB kb and mouse do not work than it could be the logic board. :cry: Or I Suppose it could just be the antenna but the first step though is to connect a USB kb and mouse and see what is happening.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

youston

Quote from: Joe on February 14, 2010, 02:41:31 PM... but the first step though is to connect a USB kb and mouse and see what is happening.

Gee ... it's like I'm hearing an echo of myself ...

Joe

Quote from: ChrisP on February 14, 2010, 01:35:42 PMI work with Youston, and a phone call to his home yesterday had him drawing a blank.

Quote from: youston on February 15, 2010, 06:30:01 AMGee ... it's like I'm hearing an echo of myself ...

Maybe he didn't hear you. :tongue:

David

what?!?
sounds like an echo in here...

hello...       hello.....  hello....
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

We have a Mac Mini and sometimes the USB keyboard and USB mouse both fail to work.

I check the connections and it still doesn't work. A hard reboot has always solved the issue.

I have been told to switch out the current USB connections with the other two unused ones, and to reset the PRAM. I don't know, I haven't ried those yet. It also seems the USB may not have enough power to drive the keyboard and mouse. I have gotten low USB power messages before.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Although a question asked over and over... you have trashed preferences, yes? Was there any kind of power outage, or surge lately? Is the Mac displaying any other symptoms?
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

I think the Mini is the worst mac ever made, I had nothing but problems with mine. It now sits in a box, anyone want it?  :blowup:

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2010, 08:46:23 AMAlthough a question asked over and over... you have trashed preferences, yes? Was there any kind of power outage, or surge lately? Is the Mac displaying any other symptoms?

Turns out that the mouse and keyboard were not supported for use with a Mac, and the latest software update broke whatever compatibility was there.

Ear

Quote from: youston on February 16, 2010, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 16, 2010, 08:46:23 AMAlthough a question asked over and over... you have trashed preferences, yes? Was there any kind of power outage, or surge lately? Is the Mac displaying any other symptoms?

Turns out that the mouse and keyboard were not supported for use with a Mac, and the latest software update broke whatever compatibility was there.

.... precisely why DCS still runs OS 9.2.  :tongue:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

Send it to me, Jim. I'll even pay the postage.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Did Steve Jobs come over and smack his knuckles with a ruler for using non-Apple hardware?

youston

Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2010, 10:41:52 AM

Did Steve Jobs come over and smack his knuckles with a ruler for using non-Apple hardware?

No, but I spoke to him at our weekly Illuminati Bingo and Bake Sale, and he asked me to serve as his proxy in this matter. Knuckles will be slapped ASAP!

Joe

Quote from: youston on February 16, 2010, 11:00:47 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2010, 10:41:52 AM

No, but I spoke to him at our weekly Illuminati Bingo and Bake Sale, and he asked me to serve as his proxy in this matter. Knuckles will be slapped ASAP!

OK, just wanted to be sure everything was under control.

Ear

Take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black