iGen4 Install

Started by Slappy, December 05, 2013, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Rumor has it that our iGen4 install is looming this weekend or early next I guess. And by rumor, I mean just that - no real information provided, just random bits of murmuring around the shop. I think they even hired another operator, which would be miraculous. I'd love to offer some details about which model and and particular features it has but really - don't know and honestly, don't much care. Just another thing to push crap to, right?  :death:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on December 05, 2013, 09:11:18 PMAnd by rumor, I mean just that - no real information provided, just random bits of murmuring around the shop.

Oh, it's coming. Let me guess...you were asked for some input a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten to doing any research yet because you're busy.

A couple yrs ago I was asked to research a certain printer and I put it on my to-do list. A week later it showed up on our loading dock along with a sales creep a day later. Umm...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Our equipment acquirements move at a glacial pace (over a year without a platemaker) unless it's some piece of shit that should be going to the scrapyard. Then it's here in days.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: gnubler on December 05, 2013, 10:52:12 PM
Quote from: Slappy on December 05, 2013, 09:11:18 PMAnd by rumor, I mean just that - no real information provided, just random bits of murmuring around the shop.

Oh, it's coming. Let me guess...you were asked for some input a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten to doing any research yet because you're busy.
Nah, I'm actually not high enough up on the food chain here so my input is rarely asked for, and even when it is, it's promptly ignored. Just another Button Pusher I am.  :banana:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

You would think management would get the input from those of use who have actually used these machines for the past decade(s). You would think.

But no, they are put under a magic spell by a sales slime, end of story.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

SpicyVindaloo

I had an owner of a shop tell me she could run Prinergy and do my job, from going through an hour and a half webex with Kodak. The sales guy convinced her that it's all automated and jobs would go through without having to touch them.

gnubler

That's why they're called sales slime.

Sure, it's automated until the job has a problem...which is about 97% of jobs.

Farabomb

Quote from: SpicyVindaloo on December 06, 2013, 10:22:01 AMI had an owner of a shop tell me she could run Prinergy and do my job, from going through an hour and a half webex with Kodak. The sales guy convinced her that it's all automated and jobs would go through without having to touch them.

The boss here thinks that way about bindery. Spent a whole night here trying to fold a job that the bindery operator wacked out an hour after he got in. Boss still didn't learn his lesson though.

Luckily he considers all I do witchcraft so he stays far away.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

SpicyVindaloo

Yeah that owner was so full of herself she would believe she could do surgery from playing a game of Operation. :death:

Farabomb

Shit, seems my brother has a female twin out there.

<shudder>

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Well, this is off to a stellar start. Seems the power requirements aren't even close to being met, so there's a bunch of electricians hanging around along with a Xerox rep trying to figure out what they need to do before the hardware arrives tomorrow. Oh, and something about a drain too, which of course isn't installed either.

Communication skillz, we haz them!  :lmao:

David

an iGen needs a drain?
what the hell you gonna run through that thing?
Liquid paper?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Yup, It's the correction fluid you use after the job's approved then the costumer wants to make a change.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

~

Stiv

The drain is recommended for the cooler (air conditioner). We just used a bucket but then you have to remember to empty the bucket.
Oh, and you need to exhaust that bitch to the outside unless you want to raise the temp of the building by about 15 degrees.
And then there's the power supply, and the missing parts, and then the 6 months it will take to work the bugs out.