Main Menu

suitcase

Started by Tracy, April 11, 2008, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

See... very educational.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

i was checking out my font situation yeah they are bad. get to fix them now tho. yay
thanks for a great day!

G_Town

I have applejack installed at work and I run it about once a month, cleans cashes, verifys prefs cleans up VM runs a disk check and repairs disk permissions.

Handy little app and its free also you boot in single user mode to run it so if your system wont boot normally there u go.

I use it before resorting to Disk Warrior and usually it takes care of bizzness.

frailer

Hi Tracy. Welcome to B4P Forums. Yep, go and explore Font Explorer. See here:

https://www.b4print.com/forums/index.php?topic=3.0

There's a great "How To" on that link. FEX also has, under its Tools Menu, a great set of "cleanup utilities". They work! They'll do all the cache cleaning you need. Just don't forget to restart when it prompts. Got a feeling you won't look back.

It's one of the great under-marketed free apps around. The Suitcase is looking very much like an old battered cardboard one these days.
Get back to us with any probs you might encounter.   :smiley:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

I now use and have spread it around the prep area Linotype's Font Explorer as well.
I was a diehard Suitcase user for years, until Quark and Suitcase Fusion refused to work together.

Get Onyx, clean your caches (Font Explorer has a cache cleaner built into it as well and a few other tools to man-handle your system fonts).

cheers and good luck

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have just finished my download of Font Explorer and Onyx. Thanks for the recommendations. I have been a loyal Suitcase user for a long, long time, but I am tired of all the hoops. Fusion is a basketcase, so I run XI. Tell you how it goes. Thanks again.
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 14, 2008, 07:47:49 AMI have just finished my download of Font Explorer and Onyx. Thanks for the recommendations. I have been a loyal Suitcase user for a long, long time, but I am tired of all the hoops. Fusion is a basketcase, so I run XI. Tell you how it goes. Thanks again.

Prepare to be dazzled. :cheesy:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

David

yeah, what she said,
I use Onyx for other things.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

i started cleaning my PC fonts first. The Mac looks Ok.
i dont think i can get onyx for windows and font explorer is about to come out with theirs for windows.
Can anyone tell me why the PC  is putting shortcut to fonts in the windows fonts folder everytime i start?

Joe

Ugh...Windows! Never seen it do that but you never know.. What version of Windows? Are you using Suitcase for Windows? Where does the shortcut point to?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

windows xp pro
the shortcuts are pointing to the locations of the fonts
i cleaned these out once. they did not go back into suitcase but they were in there before i deleted them out of the fonts folders.
argh pc!!!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 14, 2008, 11:55:30 AMwindows xp pro
the shortcuts are pointing to the locations of the fonts
i cleaned these out once. they did not go back into suitcase but they were in there before i deleted them out of the fonts folders.
argh pc!!!

Okay, I checked my XP Pro fonts folder and I don't have any shortcuts in there. I also have no font management software on it. I'm guessing here but I'm thinking it is suitcase putting the shortcut in there so the OS is loading those fonts. Try this out to see. Delete the shortcuts. Go to Suitcase and activate a set, then go back to the XP font folder and see if it has created shortcuts to the fonts you just activated. Seems like a poor way of doing it to me but hey, what do I know? :undecided:

Tracy

that did it. when i activated a font set it put a short cut in the windows/fonts folder

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 14, 2008, 01:14:36 PMthat did it. when i activated a font set it put a short cut in the windows/fonts folder

Another mystery solved. :police: :ninja: :ninja2:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Update on the Font Explorer.

I have been running it with no problems for two days now. It took a little getting used to, I have been a Suitcase user for years. It is very detailed in regards to info, and I like the interface. I like it a lot so far. I can't believe it is free! Makes Suitcase and all the others I have used seem sophomoric.
Member #285 - Civilian