News:

Main Menu

Font Problem

Started by Tracy, April 16, 2008, 02:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Im having a font problem I cant solve/ This is on the PC Side.
I cleared the Helvetica out of the system fonts.
When I select the Helvetica font in suitcase it will only let me select the bold or regular not both. This problem started with the regular Helvetica.
When I use the regular Helvetica in Indesign the type disappears.

Ear

Yeah, I get problems like that on the peecee too. Are you using font management software?

Most likely you're using a font that InDesign doesn't like. What worked best for me was making sure I had Type3 or Open Face fonts loaded for the basics, Times, Helvetica, etc... CS3 seems a little picky on the peecee side with postscript fonts.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

whats the font management software for pc?
im using xp with cs2 and quark6
thankyou!

Ear

Well, I use ATM Deluxe to manage fonts on the peecee, although there are probably better programs out there. It's kind of like Suitcase on the Mac where you can keep font sets and turn fonts off and on without having to wrestle with system font folders.

I am good on a peecee but I'm by no means a peecee guru, I'm a "Mac guy"  :rolleyes: as it were. Help me out on this one PC peeps! What are the best choices for font management on a Windows box?

So are you having this Helvetica problem in both layout programs?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sorry man, I use ATM Deluxe as well. ATM works, but I spend about 10 minutes a day on the Fecee, so I am not an authority either.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

yes the helvetica is having a problem on both
in indesign i can clearly see the helvetica going to medium
and no option for regular,on quark its not so clear its letting me use it but im not sure if its working right either. I have never seen this before.
Im with Joe I hate fonts! today anyway.
Why do fonts go bad?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Can you migrate the job to the Mac?
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I hate fonts too Tracy, some days they suck your will to live. Helvetica is one of the worst. I am convinced that your problem is that you have either conflicting versions of Helv (PS and TT) or that you loaded a partially collected helvetica meaning that you may have tried to load a postscript helvetica and got the screen but not the printer portion of the font loaded. Postscript fonts need to have both the .pfm and .pfb to be usable. A true type font on will be appended with .ttf and open face fonts will be appended with .otf. I would try to get my hands on a .otf or .ttf helvetica. Open Face fonts will cross platform too.

Tracy

While Im figuring this out I will migrate jobs to the mac. I think your right about the font conflict, this is the first time Ive had it this bad.
Has anyone used Font Converters? I get a lot of Pc Jobs with Pc fonts.
I have a font converter but it seems weird that it works.

frailer

PC to Mac? I've researched this quite a bit. From what I've been able to find out, Trans Type is the only utility that really cuts the mustard. All the others are also-rans, at best. Having a bit of a monopoly, they're a bit pricier than you'd think for this sort of app. The more expensive version does "extra stuff".

http://www.fontlab.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=83&Itemid=42/
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 16, 2008, 02:40:25 PMIm having a font problem I cant solve/ This is on the PC Side.
I cleared the Helvetica out of the system fonts.
When I select the Helvetica font in suitcase it will only let me select the bold or regular not both. This problem started with the regular Helvetica.

When I use the regular Helvetica in Indesign the type disappears.

Okay, judging by your post here it looks like you are using Suitcase for Windows correct? That is a font management application.

Extensis Suitcase Fusion

I agree with E that is sounds like you have a conflict somewhere. If indeed you have Suitcase Fusion you should be able to view a list of all open fonts. See what is activated for Helvetica. Then deactivate them. Once you get all iterations of Helvetica deactivate try activating just the one you need. Also, when you say "it will only let me select the bold or regular not both", what exactly does it do to prevent you from selecting it? Error messages?

Also be careful about removing fonts from the Windows Font folder. Certain ones are required for Windows to run. I'm pretty sure Helvetica is not one of them but do be careful about which ones you remove.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

thanks joe
i am using suitcase.
when i select the regular helvetica the type disappears. im not joking. teehee
and Ive tried different versions of helv???
fortunately i dont have a pc job that needs it right now.

and about the font converter i have crossfont it actually works but it hasnt solved my helvetica prob
yet.

Joe

So it disappears on the screen? Does it print though? I have seen it where it is looks like it's gone on the screen but still prints. Could be a corrupted screen font if that is the case.

Tracy

oh and on one of the helveticas in the font window it says medium IT IS NOT MEDIUM!
Sorry I went all caps! tee hee

Joe

I have not been a fan of suitcase since about version 8 (MAC). What happens if you close all instances of helvetica in suitcase, then close suitcase, and then copy the Helvetica files into the Windows/Fonts folder?