News:

Main Menu

PFB & PFM

Started by sulaxfan, June 02, 2008, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sulaxfan

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster ...
I am working on a Mac using Font Agent Pro and I have a customer who has given me a font in FFB and PFM format. I asked if she had a TrueType version on her PC, but of course she does not. Is there anything I can do with this?
Thanks in advance!

DigitalCrapShoveler

I am going to assume the first font type "FFB" is just a typo, and is really "PFB." This is the PC version of a Postscript Type 1 font. The PFB file is the actual outline data, while the PFM is the metric data. The only file you need is the PFB. You will need Fontographer or other similar font converting software to be able to utilize it however. Try a PC if all else fails. I am no fan of them, but if the file originated on the PC, maybe you ought to leave it there, unless you have no choice.
Member #285 - Civilian

postcrypt

If you're lucky and it's only a few words using this font, perhaps your customer can convert it to outlines and resubmit the file... depending, of course, on the app she's using...

I remember when Windows Type 1 fonts were a GOOD thing, and it was the Truetype we were scared of... sigh...

Ear

I used to have a little program written for OS9, Mac, called Font Hopper, that would convert fonts, Mac to peecee and vice versa. I haven't had much call for such a thing lately and I don't know if they have an OSX version but it might be worth a shot.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Try this...

Oh well too big... sorry.

PM me and i'll send a copy of Fonthopper to you.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Have looked into this a bit way back...we finally had to get Transtype. It's a couple of hundred $$; but the only font converter that REALLY works, [for OSX, that is].  It's a weigh up on frequency-of-use/cost... :rolleyes:

http://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/transtype/
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

WharfRat

Stick those files in the InDesign font folder and you can use them in InDesign.
-
If you are still on CS2
you can also place them in the Illustrator font folder and use them there.

MSD

-----

I am working on a Mac using Font Agent Pro and I have a customer who has given me a font in FFB and PFM format. I asked if she had a TrueType version on her PC, but of course she does not. Is there anything I can do with this?

Joe

Quote from: WharfRat on June 04, 2008, 07:14:25 PMStick those files in the InDesign font folder and you can use them in InDesign.
-
If you are still on CS2

MSD

-----

So you are saying I can take the PFB & PFM file from a windows PC and drop them into my InDesign CS3 font folder on the Mac and it will recognize and use them?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1781.msg29382#msg29382 date=1212634697
Quote from: WharfRat on June 04, 2008, 07:14:25 PMStick those files in the InDesign font folder and you can use them in InDesign.
-
If you are still on CS2

MSD

-----

So you are saying I can take the PFB & PFM file from a windows PC and drop them into my InDesign CS3 font folder on the Mac and it will recognize and use them?

Yeah, I am kinda confused on that one too. WharfRat... please explain this. In answer to the question: You need to convert it using a program that will handle PC to Mac. As earlier, I mentioned Fontographer and Font Hopper. Both are pre-OSX, so if you want Font Hopper, PM me. It's pretty hard to find now for some reason, but I have it, and would be happy to send it to you. Converts PS L1 and TT to PC/Mac. Does not convert OpenType, but you really don't need to, since Opentype, I believe is not PC/Mac specific.
Member #285 - Civilian

almaink

Font Hopper was for true Type windows to Mac conversion and didn't always work. You need a Font editor like Fontographer to remake those PC Type 1's for Mac.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: almaink on June 05, 2008, 07:58:25 AMFont Hopper was for true Type windows to Mac conversion and didn't always work. You need a Font editor like Fontographer to remake those PC Type 1's for Mac.

I use Font Hopper several times a week and believe me, it converts Type 1 fonts. It does not like Unicode Fonts, or Multipe Master, but the rest convert AOK. Fontographer is a superior app however, plus you can strip copyright info out of those pesky "liscensed" fonts and regenerate them!
Member #285 - Civilian

almaink

Ah you are correct! Just dug out my old version 1.0 of Font Hopper and it does do type 1's. Been so long since I'd used it I forgot.

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

WharfRat

-
Yes

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: WharfRat on June 04, 2008, 07:14:25 PMI am working on a Mac using Font Agent Pro and I have a customer who has given me a font in FFB and PFM format. I asked if she had a TrueType version on her PC, but of course she does not. Is there anything I can do with this?

-
If you are still on CS2

You answered your own question... See the confusion.
Member #285 - Civilian

WharfRat

-
If you are still on CS2
-
-
Yes
-
You answered your own question... See the confusion.
-
No ... sorry - I don't understand the confusion.
Place PC fonts in a MAC InDesign font folder and InDesign will use them
Likewise ...
Place MAC fonts in a PC InDesign font folder and InDesign will use them.
-
The CS2 referral is because Illustrator CS3 does not have a fonts folder - it was eliminated after CS2.

MSD