Customer query about "trading in old fonts"

Started by ninjaPB_43, July 31, 2008, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

So a customer asked me today if I knew of a way to "trade in 300+ postscript fonts"(that he purchased way back when, his words not mine) for newer open-type.  I have looked and looked and I dont think you can, do I tell him he is SOL, and will have to repurchase all the fonts he needs in order to switch over? 

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway..

Thanks.

:ninja:

edit: I think over the past two years we've been getting a monthly from him, he has slowly started having more and more corrupted fonts and fonts missing when he sends a disc over. He uses Quark 6.5 and says he uses the "Collect for Output" but it has been getting worse and worse every month with missing fonts..  luckily I have him a collection in my archive and I am able to go back to those when needed, but Im afraid a different version is going to sneak in there and bite me, so we started a dialog about his fonts today leading to the above question..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

I may be wrong PB, but I have never heard this in the 18 years I have been doing this! Pretty sure, you buy it, you own it... end of story. You can't give them out, you aren't even suppose to give them to Printers. It is a necessity of course, so it gets overlooked, but in my honest opinion, he's screwed. What kind of fonts are they? Are they Adobe, Lino, Letraset... Have you ever used Fontographer before? Sometimes, especially over time, screen fonts can become corrupt, but the printer font is okay. If the two (Screen and Printer) are not in perfect working order, they become "unlinked" causing the famous Stairstepped font look. With a program like Fontographer, there are probably others, but I myself use Fontographer, you can open the printer font and regenerate the corresponding screen font. This has saved my ass more times then I can remember. He might just need to fork out the cash and do what he needs to, to get his job done correctly. As much as I would like to blame it on Quark, it probably has nothing to do with it... probably.
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Thanks DCS, that's really what I thought but kinda wanted some confirmation.  He probably will not fork out the money. He is an older(and I say that with the nicest intentions, but talking to him is as productive as banging my head against a brick wall, just stuck in his ways i guess :huh: ) guy and does this newsletter for a non-profit organization and I'm not sure he gets paid much to do it..  I have used fontographer in the past but haven't needed it in several years..  maybe I ought to look into getting it again.

Thanks Bro.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Just substitute all of his fonts with Comic Sans. Good to go.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Bananos

Quote from: Joe on August 01, 2008, 12:33:21 AMJust substitute all of his fonts with Comic Sans. Good to go.

Substitute with Courier. No more font problems from him

ninjaPB_43

Aww you guys make funneh. 

Im actually trying to get him over to sending us a good pdf...   when I told him he'd have to buy fonts if he wanted to move over to open-type...  he told me

"I suppose I could go back to my original
font discs and floppies and reinstall on
an old G3 with a floppy drive, lots of
work though."

Joe, may I borrow you're shotgun?

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on August 01, 2008, 08:01:59 AMAww you guys make funneh. 

Im actually trying to get him over to sending us a good pdf...   when I told him he'd have to buy fonts if he wanted to move over to open-type...  he told me

"I suppose I could go back to my original
font discs and floppies and reinstall on
an old G3 with a floppy drive, lots of
work though."

Joe, may I borrow you're shotgun?

Sure but I'm currently out of ammo. You'll have to supply your own.

Tell him to buy Windows Vista. There is almost 400 of them in the System Fonts folder after installing it. :evil:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on August 01, 2008, 10:45:31 AMSure but I'm currently out of ammo. You'll have to supply your own.

Tell him to buy Windows Vista. There is almost 400 of them in the System Fonts folder after installing it. :evil:

:shocked:  wth for?  ugggg...  I hope I never have to work on a Vista box.

Good news though..  he sent me a test file this morning of a high res pdf..   I think he's going to switch to sending that..  :shocked:  VICTORY!!!    His black type was even already 0,0,0,100 and overprinting.  He was rambling something about getting better results on images by saving them all as .eps instead of .tiff, "whatever buddy, as long as your files look JUST LIKE this test file, we'll be golden." 

agent_orange

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on August 01, 2008, 11:33:41 AM:shocked:  wth for?  ugggg...  I hope I never have to work on a Vista box.

Didn't you get the memo about Mojave? You're gonna love it! Sorry about the hijack. Carry on, fellas...

ninjaPB_43

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 31, 2008, 08:39:37 PMSo a customer asked me today if I knew of a way to "trade in 300+ postscript fonts"(that he purchased way back when, his words not mine) for newer open-type.  I have looked and looked and I dont think you can, do I tell him he is SOL, and will have to repurchase all the fonts he needs in order to switch over? 

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway..

Thanks.

edit: I think over the past two years we've been getting a monthly from him, he has slowly started having more and more corrupted fonts and fonts missing when he sends a disc over. He uses Quark 6.5 and says he uses the "Collect for Output" but it has been getting worse and worse every month with missing fonts..  luckily I have him a collection in my archive and I am able to go back to those when needed, but Im afraid a different version is going to sneak in there and bite me, so we started a dialog about his fonts today leading to the above question..

Back to the original question:

Adobe Font Folio 11

You can't trade in old fonts but you can upgrade from earlier versions of Adobe Font Folio.

Upgrade from U.S. $1599.00

Full from U.S. $2599.00

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on August 01, 2008, 12:49:32 PMBack to the original question:

Adobe Font Folio 11

You can't trade in old fonts but you can upgrade from earlier versions of Adobe Font Folio.

Full from U.S. $2599.00

That's a really good deal, believe or not as you wish.

Any company that can blow thousands on providing their salespeople with Blackberries 'n shit can certainly find $1599 (or $2599) to do the fucking right thing with their fonts. It's a cost of doing business.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

ninjaPB_43

I agree Hotmetal, but this isn't a company.  It's a lone man, doing design for a non profit church. I don't know if it's his career or just helping out a friend.. 

anyhoo.  Thanks for those link/prices Joe..  its good info to have on the board. 

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on August 01, 2008, 02:12:16 PM

Adobe Font Folio 11

Full from U.S. $2599.00

Any company that can blow thousands on providing their salespeople with Blackberries 'n shit can certainly find $1599 (or $2599) to do the fucking right thing with their fonts. It's a cost of doing business.

Agreed. I remember when it would run you well over $10,000 for that.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on August 01, 2008, 04:35:42 PM
Quote from: hotmetal on August 01, 2008, 02:12:16 PM

Adobe Font Folio 11

Full from U.S. $2599.00

Agreed. I remember when it would run you well over $10,000 for that.

And those snowdrifts we walked through — uphill! — just to get that font disk were deep!

And yes, PB, I know just what a bind your client is in. I was just throwing in my usual 2 cents worth of seldom heeded advice! Maybe he could do a bit of a redesign and find some useable freeware fonts to go with?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson