News:

Main Menu

Font Examination

Started by Slappy, June 17, 2010, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

This is NOT a request for a font!  :wink:

We need to purchase a font family and I'd like to know if it contains Small Caps in the given typeface before we go ahead. It's ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro. Here's the back story, if anybody cares:

We have some products on our StoreFront site that are populated by client data, business cards in this case. A few of the fields use this type, and in previous versions of the documents they had been assigned Small Caps by the originating designer. That worked well, until a recent upgrade in the web software and now, since the font used doesn't actually have the Small Caps in the font family, it doesn't render on the Product. In fact, it cause all of the other type to disappear!

So, if anybody has ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro installed, can you look at the character table, like with InDesign's Glyphs Panel? Much appreciated!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

We bought it. No it doesn't contain small caps.

Sorry... we don't have the Pro version. We bought the regular version. No small caps, tho
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Right, I've got a bazillion copies of the non-Pro version on the server from various clients. I've tested this Small Caps issue with other Pro fonts, and it fixes the server-side problem. Just wanted to be positive the font we need contains the characters before we drop the $100+ on a crappy looking typeface.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Captain_Type

Too bad there isn't a Comic Sans Pro, or you could substitute that.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Joe

Here is a page that shows the ITC Avant Garde Gothic® Pro family. They all say "This OpenType font may include small caps, extra glyphs, and other features." There is a link for "See the complete character set" for each one.

http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/downloads/itc/itc_avant_garde_gothic_pro_virtual/
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Yeah. that's who I'm planning on buying the font from, but didja click though to those complete character sets? I can't find the Small Caps any where! I have an email in to the company too, just hoping to shave some time off of the wait.

Joe

Yeah, it's kind of confusing to tell. It seems like they could word that a little differently. Like it it either "has small caps" or it "doesn't have small caps".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Well, got my reply:

QuoteHello,

Thank you for contacting us.  Unfortunately neither sets of fonts have the SmallCaps and we do not carry a set that has additional SC in Avant Garde Gothic Pro.

Regards,

Theresa

Pisser, now to explain to the client that what used to work no longer does. Thanks Kodak!!  :rolleyes:

David

if you're using quark, you can faux small caps...

:death:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

That's the thing, I can't. InDesign is essentially doing just that, but it's the online part of the equation that's boned. It can't render the non-existent Small Caps, so instead it renders blank space. For the whole layout. I'm going to issue a Ticket to Kodak, but I'd be surprised if they give it a second though.

youston

Quote from: Slappy on June 17, 2010, 11:17:52 AMThat's the thing, I can't. InDesign is essentially doing just that, but it's the online part of the equation that's boned. It can't render the non-existent Small Caps, so instead it renders blank space. For the whole layout. I'm going to issue a Ticket to Kodak, but I'd be surprised if they give it a second though.

Are you using Darwin for this? I know that I could probably engineer a solution using XMPie and SQL statements, but I'm not familiar with Darwin's ability to run queries.

It should be a simple (yet complex) matter to parse the string in the field that's writing the value with the small caps. Create two fields -- one will hold the first letter of the string, the rest will hold the rest of the string. This way, the first letter of the string is placed as a capitol letter in [n] size font, and you can adjust the ID document so that the rest of the string is written in capitol letters at a different-sized font. If you play with the ID document enough, you should be able to accomplish something that's *like* small caps.

Just my .02.

David

Quote from: david on June 17, 2010, 11:02:14 AMif you're using quark, you can faux small caps...

:death:

I forgot to add the  :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: youston on June 17, 2010, 11:27:06 AMAre you using Darwin for this? I know that I could probably engineer a solution using XMPie and SQL statements, but I'm not familiar with Darwin's ability to run queries.

It should be a simple (yet complex) matter to parse the string in the field that's writing the value with the small caps. Create two fields -- one will hold the first letter of the string, the rest will hold the rest of the string. This way, the first letter of the string is placed as a capitol letter in [n] size font, and you can adjust the ID document so that the rest of the string is written in capitol letters at a different-sized font. If you play with the ID document enough, you should be able to accomplish something that's *like* small caps.

Just my .02.
Yup, I had briefly considered doing just that, except I have to way to deal with the SQL server or whatever the hell is driving the rendering on StoreFront/Darwin. And honestly, this client isn't large enough to spend that kind of time on. Good idea though!

gnubler

Quote from: youston on June 17, 2010, 11:27:06 AMAre you using Darwin for this? I know that I could probably engineer a solution using XMPie and SQL statements, but I'm not familiar with Darwin's ability to run queries.

Just my .02.

NERD ALERT! :tongue:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

So, this has come back to haunt me, as I knew it would.

I've been tasked with finding a font that does indeed contain Small Caps as part of its set and matched the fabulousness that is ITC Avant Garde Gothic also. I can't approach the client & tell them their shit is busted because of a Kodak update, not just yet anyway.

So - any takers on the Great Font Hunt of 2010?  :banghead: