Weird FEX Pro behaviour

Started by frailer, July 25, 2010, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Okay. 'Nother question about FEX. A customer just sent me a file with no fonts. I loaded my fonts, and my version of Mistral is different than his (mine is larger). I contacted the customer and got their font. I loaded it in FEX and activated it (he sent Mistral.suit and Mistal (no extension)). I re-started ID CS4, and Mistral doesn't show on the list. I put it in the Applications/Adobe inDesign CS4/Fonts/ folder and it works just fine. WTF?!?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on July 30, 2010, 03:02:26 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 30, 2010, 03:00:06 PMI think you could have trashed your prefs and your FEX Library and it would have made it a lot quicker.
I did that first. It didn't work. I did it again and rebooted after emptying the trash. It still didn't work.

Eh, I figured it would work. Good to know. I needed a guinea pig. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

When it's loaded in FEX, what does it show when you do a Cmd+I on it. Should give a full pane giving foundry, what hour it was born etc...(there's an 'Information' button...same thing). An Adobe font, perhaps? Just feels 'at home'?   :laugh:
Sometimes, ya just gotta hate fonts. To quote Joe..."Fonts are evil!"   :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on July 30, 2010, 03:31:56 PMOkay. 'Nother question about FEX. A customer just sent me a file with no fonts. I loaded my fonts, and my version of Mistral is different than his (mine is larger). I contacted the customer and got their font. I loaded it in FEX and activated it (he sent Mistral.suit and Mistal (no extension)). I re-started ID CS4, and Mistral doesn't show on the list. I put it in the Applications/Adobe inDesign CS4/Fonts/ folder and it works just fine. WTF?!?

Usually a wonky font. Can you see it in the font list of say, TextEdit, when it is only open in FEX? Sometimes FEX is more picky than Adobe and/or OS X. Shit happens. And to quote frailer quoting me..."FONTS ARE EVIL!!!".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have also heard, "Fonts are the bane of our existence!"
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Feedback from tech support, Linotype. FYI for anyone using Pro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Xxxx,

We found the problem cause. It is a buggy alias function, which will be fixed in the next versions of FONTEXPLORER X PRO.

If you couldn't solve this problem by deleting of pref file, you can use our script to remove aliases. Benefit of that will be that you can start FontExplorer X Pro even if you are not logged into your company network, but disadvantage would be that fonts without alias couldn't be found automatically by FontExplorer X Pro for example if you are move original font file from folder "A" to folder "B".

Alternative: You can enable "Organize font files" function (preferences/advanced) and let copy font files now into desired folder ( in the future font files be copied during import to FontExplorer X Pro). On this way all font you imported from removable media or network drives will be locally available.

Should you have any questions or additional requests, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Yyyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 'Alternative' I believe I already have set up to do, anyway. At least it's a fix in the next update. Prefs list dumps in the meantime if it rears its ugly again....
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

cool, thanks for the heads up Frailer!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Had a similar problem last night to the Mistral problem described above... but this time it was Monotype Corsiva, only I found that while ID alphabetizes fonts, Monotype Corsiva apparently starts with a "C" for Corsiva... not "M" for Monotype. I expect that for Garamond, but Corsiva? Anyways. I'm still happy with running my comp on a font diet.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway