Copy fonts from NTFS share and they break.

Started by t-pat, September 06, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Ok so this is an old problem but a new one for us.

We have a NAS (actually 2), formatted NTFS. If I copy type 1 fonts from the NAS to my desktop, the fonts are fine.

When I copy them back to the NAS they are 0k and broken.

I can unzip them on the NAS with my mac and they're fine.

copy them from folder to folder or the NAS, they're broken.

MOVING them does not break them.

copying via terminal breaks them.

We did not have this problem until we tried to eliminate AdmitMac from the macs, we're trying to get rid of it for other reasons.

In theory this should just work fine, NTFS supports resource forks.

We do not want to nor is it even remotely reasonable to turn on the Apple Double stuff (turning off ntfs streams) because it makes 2 files for every file and we have way too many files live on the nas to even consider that, plus it would likely break everything.

We do not want to use a 3rd party software.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

vdp donkey

t-pat

and no we don't want to use appletalk, too slow and other problems with it
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

That could be your problem. I have to connect AFP to my NAS.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 06, 2012, 04:43:11 PMThat could be your problem. I have to connect AFP to my NAS.

AFP would work, however it will probably render everything else unseeable. In any case boss says AFP is no option.

Seems that it should work via CIFS/SMB on a NTFS drive. What breaks it is the mac. I can copy/move type 1 fonts on the nas via my windows VM and it doesn't break it.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'll talk to my IT guy and see what he thinks. He's really good with networking.

Shit, he just left. I'll hit him up tomorrow first thing.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I know you can see weird issues like this if the fonts were originally copied via AFP. I had to copy fonts that were originally copied via AFP to my Mac via AFP and then copy them via CIFS/SMB to the NAS to get them to work right.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

AFP was never enabled on the NAS, or should I say, probably deliberately disabled. My boss (who is also the IT guy here) set this stuff up so that it would play nice with active directory so to do that for previous versions of OS X he needed to use AdmitMac.  Now with the newer os x versions active directory apparently works fine without 3rd party stuff in between.

He's dealing with Thursby support now, it seems that he put a newer version of AdmitMac on the test mac he's trying this out with and the font problem persists now.

So the scenario is: with an older version of AdmitMac, existing macs can copy fonts without a problem but with the new version of AdmitMac they still are broken, and without it, they are also broken.

Sorry I asked actually, because when it comes down to it I don't really care! Fonts Schmonts. :wtf:
vdp donkey

Joe

But what protocol were they originally copied to the server before the NAS. Ours were on a Windows 2000 server and to make them work properly on the NAS I had to copy the originals from W2000 server to the Mac via AFP and then from the Mac to the NAS via SMB. Copying them directly from the W2000 server to the NAS gave me results similar to yours. But I've never had anything like Thursby/AdmitMac/XtremeZ-IP installed on anything so it could be something from one of those causing issues.