Printing scratch and win cards

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, February 22, 2019, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Here's a doozy,

Anyone ever had any experience in the realm of printing that silver stuff you see on scratch and win cards?

I've had a request to find out more information of all the details of uv drying etc. etc. etc.

The cards will be printed litho with variable numbers imprinted for numbers, passwords etc. and the owner wants to figure out if the whole thing can be done in house including the silver stuff on top.

David

yepper, been there done that.
At current place, we silkscreen Scratch off ink on top of the hidden part, using of course special scratch off ink.
You may need to put a UV coat down first to protect the hidden part before applying the scratch off ink in some cases

Here's a web site that actually has good tips for doing this:

Scratch Off Tips
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Santa

We did a few of these back in the day by applying a wafer seal type sticker that had the silver already printed on top of it. They were short run, a few thousand.

Site is https://myscratchoffs.com

pspdfppdfxhd

I think we're looking at 6 million cards.......that could take awhile.

Thanks anyways!

Tracy

We do train tickets same thing, we use an outside vendor for all the coatings etc..
they print a number on top of the silver coating also
pretty elaborate for a train ticket Foil, UV too
then all the tickets get numbered

I think you have to be really mindful of the silver, we have seen just the tickets rubbing against each other
can rub off the silver if it's not done properly.

AaronH

I believe when we did the scratch off thing, we foiled it on our letterpress. Otherwise we did the same thing, print litho, imprint the variable numbers off our Xerox then foil stamp the scratch off foil. Pretty snazzy.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

DPSprint

we do these with some tickets, digitally printed, variable data and then screen printed silver scratch panel... and yes it can scratch easily (obviously!) so has to be treated carefully when trimmed. such a fun job... NOT!

DigiCorn

We've manually applied pre-coated scratch-off stickers to cards in the past
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

The only time I worked at a place that printed these was a one-time deal. A guy brought them pre-printed, all we had to do was print the silver part. The numbers were all the same, supposedly except for one.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

Like others we outsource the scratch part of the ticket. Everything else we do in house. Not worth it for us for the one job once or twice a year that we get it.

pspdfppdfxhd

Soooo, the boss wants to print the silver scratch and win ink and print them on the card litho.

Told him nobody does it. He says he thinks it can be done.

Slappy

Let us know how long it takes to wash up from THAT mess!!  :lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, and then run a job the next day 4CP.

Client gets the job with silver blotches all over. How did that happen?

Rabid

We used to do these the same as others: offset the shell portion, digitally imprint the variable and then send it out for someone else to apply the coating.
The one thing we had to do was not print a varnish where the scratch adheres.