Can CWS ignore Dielines?

Started by Slappy, September 04, 2019, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I mean, can it act like any other modern RIP? We frequently have to re-send files to the iGen because a Prep person has forgotten to turn off an FPO Layer containing scores/perfs/etc. set in a Dieline Spot Color Swatch. I know we can add colors to the User Libraries in CWS, but can it also recognize them as non-printing unless the Op tells them to print, like Proof Only?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

There is no way that I know of to ignore any spot color in CWS. That being said, you can adjust or define any color called out as a spot and make it print however you desire, so you could make it a 0-0-0-0 build (although it may knock out. I've never tried). It may or may not require a specific license or dongle to activate or adjust. Not certain.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 05, 2019, 09:46:05 AMyou could make it a 0-0-0-0 build
Now that's an idea! I think I'll try it, test a few jobs and see what happens. Thx!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

abc

What happens if you assign the Dieline to a layer and then hide the layer (turn it off)?
Does the Rip respect layer handling?

You'll need to probably make sure the PDF is saved with the layer off as the default state.

abc

Just re-read it and it seems you use layers already. Can you preflight on the layer visibility or get preflight to hide the layer?

Slappy

I'll have to dig in to CWS to see if it honors Layers-good idea! Then there's also the problem of getting the other Prepress Operators to use Layers consistently. The old "We've always done it this way!" mentality is pretty strong some times.  :rolleyes:

Possum

Especially if someone else has to deal with the problems down the line.
:rotf:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.