Looking for advice...

Started by motormount, September 19, 2013, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

Thanks for both links 'n answers!

After having a look on those sites,and having ''made'' a site on wix,i think that a trucker career is much more possible.

Not just for me but for experienced designers and developers as well,with so many templates and wysiwyg tools,they'll become obsolete sooner than us...

-so i'd better start hanging out on web designers forums to find out where they 're heading... :tongue: -

Possum

Quote from: motormount on September 21, 2013, 11:57:48 AMThanks for both links 'n answers!

After having a look on those sites,and having ''made'' a site on wix,i think that a trucker career is much more possible.

Not just for me but for experienced designers and developers as well,with so many templates and wysiwyg tools,they'll become obsolete sooner than us...

-so i'd better start hanging out on web designers forums to find out where they 're heading... :tongue: -

Let us know when you find out, maybe we can beat them to it.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

gnubler

Food prep, yes. Service, no thx!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Food prep is possibly worse than prepress and even more thankless. Do not believe all the bullshit on TV. You want no part of that.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

my wife sells thrifted and picked items on ebay. Specializes in handbags, which she reconditions and repairs or has repaired if needed. Also other vintage items, particularly housewares. She likes it and it makes a profit. Not huge, but worth doing - and she's got limited physical abilities. If she was well, and worked it full time, it could be a living wage if you have a simple lifestyle.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on September 23, 2013, 11:52:31 AMmy wife sells thrifted and picked items on ebay. Specializes in handbags, which she reconditions and repairs or has repaired if needed. Also other vintage items, particularly housewares. She likes it and it makes a profit. Not huge, but worth doing - and she's got limited physical abilities. If she was well, and worked it full time, it could be a living wage if you have a simple lifestyle.

Do you have to have a credit card to sell on ebay? I've thought about the old fashioned ebay: setting up a booth at the flea market on Saturdays to try selling all the treasures found during the week.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

beck

My brother manages an apartment complex.  He makes a few hundred a month selling the old Water heaters, A/C units, etc. for scrap.  He's always looking for motors, wires, etc. on garbage day.

He says if he really focused on it, he could make more.
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

born2print

Quote from: gnubler on September 23, 2013, 12:03:51 PM
Quote from: t-pat on September 23, 2013, 11:52:31 AMmy wife sells thrifted and picked items on ebay. Specializes in handbags, which she reconditions and repairs or has repaired if needed. Also other vintage items, particularly housewares. She likes it and it makes a profit. Not huge, but worth doing - and she's got limited physical abilities. If she was well, and worked it full time, it could be a living wage if you have a simple lifestyle.

Do you have to have a credit card to sell on ebay? I've thought about the old fashioned ebay: setting up a booth at the flea market on Saturdays to try selling all the treasures found during the week.
Folks that shop flea markets and swap meets pay bottom dollar. Twits that stumble on your merch at eBay get in bidding wars and pay retail or more.
:shrug:

andyfest

My wife loves flowers and plants and started a gardening service a few years ago. Most of her clients are seniors that love their gardens, but aren't mobile enough to take care of them properly. Up here it's pretty seasonal and work is only possible from April to October, but down there it could be a year-round business. She wants to keep it small and works by herself - turns down at least 10 clients every year that she just doesn't have time for.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on September 23, 2013, 12:03:51 PM

You need a card number or bank account to get paid and pay your ebay fees. There are a number of online banks that are very easy to set up prepaid with minimal opening deposits, and bad credit is ok. She also sells on Etsy, which is a good venue with some different rules and requirements.
Honestly though if you sold in person at a flea market or other venues, you'd do better and have less customer issues. Her biggest problem is idiots that buy on their phone without reading descriptions or looking at the 25+ high res semi professionally shot (home photo studio with SLR and lights, styled, and measured) pictures she takes of the more expensive items.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: andyfest on September 23, 2013, 12:16:02 PMMy wife loves flowers and plants and started a gardening service a few years ago. Most of her clients are seniors that love their gardens, but aren't mobile enough to take care of them properly. Up here it's pretty seasonal and work is only possible from April to October, but down there it could be a year-round business. She wants to keep it small and works by herself - turns down at least 10 clients every year that she just doesn't have time for.

That is something else I thought about doing: help people get a raised bed garden going. I could build custom raised beds to fit any size yard or need, bring in the soil, and help them get started. The problem is that involves talking to people and doing "sales", neither of which I'm good at.

born2print

DigiCorn

...and the Black Market is always looking for spare kidneys. That'd set you up for a year or two.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 23, 2013, 12:53:12 PMYou could sell yourself

Wouldn't that require her to move to Nevada? :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.