News:

Main Menu

VPN opinions

Started by frailer, November 18, 2014, 12:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Geo-blocking is slightly less of an issue than a year or so ago, but I also want to 'anonymize' my internet activity. Our (widely despised) current government here is making much noise about data retention, as well.

Done some research, prompted by someone on another blog here, but anyone there got some experiences to relate?

This is the one that looks like a contender.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Made in Taiwan

Well it looks not bad, but the question is, if one really needs this? Just like we wrote before in another thread, if really somebody hacks into my computer and finds my "embarrassing pics" he'll break the mouse-buttons while trying to get out of my system. I'll keep on going like before. Nowadays people have no privacy anyway. If you're using a cellphone, they know already where you are. If you're using Google, they know what you like. If you have Facebook, they know your embarrassing pics. If you drive a car, somebody will spy at your number plate with a dashcam. Best way for privacy is to throw the cellphone in the river, lock yourself in a cabinet and avoid the internet at all costs.  :sarcasm:
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

I have VPN unlimited and I rarely use it. I got a deal off stack social, $20 for a year.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 18, 2014, 12:59:11 AMGeo-blocking is slightly less of an issue than a year or so ago, but I also want to 'anonymize' my internet activity. Our (widely despised) current government here is making much noise about data retention, as well.

Done some research, prompted by someone on another blog here, but anyone there got some experiences to relate?

This is the one that looks like a contender.

I am not a fan of paying for services that are readily available for free. There are services like the one you linked that are free. But I would give the Tor Browser a try before trying or paying for a service like that.

What is the Tor Browser?

The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.

The Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained.

Edit: But be advised there are sites that will block your access when using the Tor browser as some of the IP addresses used by it have been marked as spam or malware IP addresses by some web security sites. Including what I use here are B4Print. :whoops: So it is not good for ALL surfing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Here are some of the options that say they are free. I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for them.

VPNBOOK

HotspotShield

Free VPN Access

Also note that even with these services you can and will run into sites that will block your access because of abused IP addresses. The only thing is...the pay services may have a way of keeping their IP addresses clean but I wouldn't bank on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.