How to make type into single stroke for engraving

Started by David, October 12, 2018, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Any you guys got any tips or tricks on how to convert type into single strokes for engraving?
You can't just "convert to outlines", it gives you the entire shape.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

wonderings

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do. Converting font to outlines will make an outline look like the font you had selected. So in your second post converting that T to the thin type T will not work because they are completely different. Arial "T" when outlined will look just like Arial but will no longer be a font.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 3.25.54 PM by B P, on Flickr

David

For engraving it needs to be a single stroke, not an outline of the font. As in the letter T, the stroke would run down the center of the vertical and the center of the horizontal portions, as in my example.
So the engrave bit, when it chews through the metal, would leave the T looking normal, due to the thickness of the bit.

does this make sense?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Does the engraver have a program for that?
very interesting, let us know what you find out!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Not sure, tried a few things but no luck. Would think the software for the engraving would be able to do that as it seems pretty specific to that task.

Not sure if this is a work around that would work but could you use a "light" font ie thin font type and use that to produce a thicker engraving? So light = regular? Not sure how engraving works so might not work at all.

David

Quote from: Tracy on October 12, 2018, 01:51:55 PMDoes the engraver have a program for that?

sadly, we are the engraver... using the Zund, hence the need for the single center line stroke.
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

I was able to do a  "work-a-round"...
In Illustrator, outline the type, select the outline, offset path to some ungodly negative number (basically a major pinch), delete any extra paths and it's a done.
I had 8 different names to do, and of course they all had to have their first, middle and last names.

thanks for all the advice!

:hangme:      :drunk3:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

If only that image trace option Pabney posted would work for vector!
It works perfect on an image in illustrator dang it!

Skryber

Quote from: david on October 12, 2018, 03:54:12 PM
Quote from: Tracy on October 12, 2018, 01:51:55 PMDoes the engraver have a program for that?

sadly, we are the engraver... using the Zund, hence the need for the single center line stroke.

We are using OptiScout with our Colex Sharpcut and engrave using the milling and hatching settings.

So we would use an outline of the type. In OptiScout set it up to use the router defined with the diameter of the bit we're using, and set up the rest with milling and hatching.

Zunds being the Cadillacs of cutters surely has something of the sort.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

Long time no hear!

Not being a Zund operator myself, I don't know about this.
I will surely check into it, thanks Skryber!
Livin' la Vida Loca