Need help: Windows XP install

Started by dudley, June 24, 2008, 03:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudley

Hi ya'll,

I'm trying to resurrect an old eMachines (at home, not work). Windows XP Home.

Thought i'd try to use the restore discs. I neglected to look to see if the model number on the discs matched the model number of the computer. They don't. Computer now useless (won't boot).

Would it work if i try to install from an OEM Windows disc, or will Microsoft know i didn't build the machine. I remember hearing that every machine has a built-in code & Microsoft knows what chip uses what serial number of Windows.

If that doesn't make sense, ask me a good question & i'll try to answer more sensibly.

I have the disc, unopened, which means i can still return it.

TiA,
dudley
"Hello, I must be going." --Captain Jeffery Spaulding

Adriano

Hi dudley
As long as the operating system is genuine and unique and compatible with the computer specifications, you can install any system  on any computer.
You will receive un activation code once registered and you can  activate it  for 5 times
The activation will leave a mark on the registry every time you activate  the OS
After that you have to ring microsoft to get a new activation code
This is so they can be sure that you don't install the same OS on 20 machines
Hope this is helpfull :azn:
Still not drinking. Never been better

dudley

Adriano,

Thanks for the input. I feel much better now.

I purchased the disc from Vio Software, which has a decent rep, altho' i'm sure there are those who feel they've been burned.

The disc itself (haven't opened the package) appears to be legit, with a hologram-like imprint on a gold surface.

I've pretty much resigned myself to eating the cost rather than having to deal with Return Policy Hell (void if opened) just because i'm chicken*hit.

Just thought i'd stop by here and ask; from what i can see it's my best shot at getting a straight up answer.

I'd appreciate any other input, but in the near future i'll have at it.

Like my buddy says, "God hates a coward".

Thanks again,
dudley

Joe

I think it should work. Just be sure to use the product registration number from your new XP disk and not the product number from the side of the eMachine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

dudley

Quote from: Joe on June 24, 2008, 09:39:27 AMI think it should work. Just be sure to use the product registration number from your new XP disk and not the product number from the side of the eMachine.

Will do, My Captain, o My Captain.

Like i said, tho', i'm willing to write it off if it fails; i have enough $$$ salted away for a refurbished Dell Laptop in any event... i'd rather use those moneys for a tank of heating oil this winter.

I have of course backed up my files; i have also a 33mHz Celeron Gateway w/ 6gB disc as alternative.

ZIP drive too.

Still like more input, especially if Mr. CrapShooter has advice.

Thanks,
dudley

dudley

Just a brief note to say that this is being posted from the resurrected, above-mentioned eMachine.

Install went swimmingly (i held my breath & kicked my feet & moved my arms around).

Thanks for the moral support; had i remembered my uncle Frank's advice i wd've just had at it.

He always said, "God hates a coward".

Thanks again,
dudley