News:

Main Menu

Fail Safe mode

Started by G_Town, August 18, 2008, 12:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Well we have this scanning densitometer software with a touch screen for the pressman to operate it. Apparently on one press the screen quits working so I for some reason have to reload the drivers when this happens.

I miss read the instructions and went into setup trying to get the thing to boot in VGA mode and think I have it on fail safe mode?  The computer boots up to the point where you have to hit F1 for it to continue to boot normally, problem is the usb keyboard wont work (has to be serial) and they dont have one.

How do I get it to boot back up normally without the F1 thing?

p.s. I am severally windows challenged.

LoganBlade

reboot hit f8. start normal. to get to vga just make sure video card is disabled and it should boot vga. go to control panel sytem device manager and check the video card. if it is on shut it off.

"dyslexics have more fnu"

G_Town

Yea that's what I was doing wrong figured out the f8 thing, is there an option there to get it to boot normally without the operator needing to hit F1 to continue?

Joe

If it is not detecting a keyboard it won't boot. If no keyboard how are you getting F1 or F8 to work?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on August 18, 2008, 01:13:54 PMIf it is not detecting a keyboard it won't boot. If no keyboard how are you getting F1 or F8 to work?

It has a USB keyboard but doesn't recognize it while booting so I took our serial KB out to the press and am using it for the F1 F8 thing.

Joe

Okay, so what is the message you get when it is telling you to hit F1 to continue?

Also if USB is enabled in the bios it should recognize the keyboard while booting. I've got several PC's with USB keyboards and they all recognize the keyboard while booting. One option would be to go into the bios and tell it to reload the bios defaults.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on August 19, 2008, 10:34:01 AMOkay, so what is the message you get when it is telling you to hit F1 to continue?

Also if USB is enabled in the bios it should recognize the keyboard while booting. I've got several PC's with USB keyboards and they all recognize the keyboard while booting. One option would be to go into the bios and tell it to reload the bios defaults.

Comes up after it does the drive check thing and says hit F1 to continue or DEL for setup, this is where I originally went bad I thought I had to hit F8 as it was just coming up and not later in the boot so I went into setup and screwed around and turned on Fail Safe mode (I think that is). After I hit F1 windows starts to load normally. A company came in and installed all this stuff and have had nothing but problems with the CIP server, touch screen, scanner etc...so I'm afraid to monkey with it to much since, for the most, part it's finally working.

Joe

So what happens if you go back in and turn fail safe mode off?

Also if you change your bios setup to load the defaults it shouldn't screw anything up (famous last words...proceed at your own risk).  :laugh:

delooch

for the USB keyboard-

like mentioned earlier, just go in your bios and there should be "enable legacy USB support" - or something similar to that language. that should fix your F1 problem. 

G_Town

I'll give it a try, thanks.