Password protect/encrypt external drive

Started by DCurry, October 06, 2011, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

A coworker has asked me if there is a way to encrypt an external USB drive. He wants it to ask for a password when he plugs it into his laptop (so if the drive is misplaced the data is secure.)

Anyone know anything about doing this?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

http://www.truecrypt.org/

QuoteCreates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

FREE
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: Earendil on October 06, 2011, 01:20:00 PMHe can get one of these.  :cheesy:

That's kinda neat, I'm a sucker for low-tech.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

Quote from: born2print on October 06, 2011, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: Earendil on October 06, 2011, 01:20:00 PMHe can get one of these.  :cheesy:

That's kinda neat, I'm a sucker for low-tech.

That's what I thought. Being obtuse, but it is kinda cool. Analog protection for your digital shit.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

It looks wrong but it feels sooo right.  :kiss:

mattbeals

TrueCrypt to encrypt the drive or better yet to create an encrypted "partition" that is a visible or invisible file. Using EFS in Windows will work plenty well if he as a digital certificate. People can still see the contents but can't access them unless they have the correct digital certificate.

All sorts of ways of handling it with TrueCrypt or PGP.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!