Windows must haves

Started by G_Town, January 17, 2008, 09:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

I'm going to put winders on my Imac and just wanted to know what to put on for antivirus, spyware and what ever else you have to have to run this infernal OS hopefully share/freeware but if not what ever is good.

Shanks

Chilbear

I run XP within Tiger>Parallels on my Intel. Norton Corporate works for me.

G_Town

Is there any difference in performance using parallels vs installing windows via boot camp?

I'm a dork gamer and another fellow dork told me running winders under boot camp he was getting over double the frame rates then he was running the game under OSX.

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on January 17, 2008, 09:54:14 AMIs there any difference in performance using parallels vs installing windows via boot camp?

I'm a dork gamer and another fellow dork told me running winders under boot camp he was getting over double the frame rates then he was running the game under OSX.

You'll get better performance under bootcamp because there is only one OS running so it doesn't have to share system resources with OS X.

I run AVG FREE AntiVirus, SpyBot Search & Destroy, and Microsoft Windows Defender and I'm pretty much able to keep it clean.

AVG Free

Windows Defender

SpyBot Search & Destroy
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

Quote from: G_Town on January 17, 2008, 09:54:14 AMIs there any difference in performance using parallels vs installing windows via boot camp?

Cannot answer. I run XP and Tiger all day (office is XP and prepress is Tiger) so I can switch back and forth. I have not played games (yet) and have found XP to be as responsive as my older box. As for Bootcamp I have no idea. I want to get in and out of XP as fast as possible. Did the bud run the game on a new iMac - I picked the Aluminum because of the bigger and faster video card and sacrificed on the glossy screen.

I have Flight Simulator so I will install it over the weekend and advise. Play time...

G_Town

Yea new Imac like mine the 2.4 I believe, told me he was getting 90FPS on winders/bootcamp and 3o'sFPS in OSX.

Tracy

does anyone know how to create a shortcut to put the date on? i use to have a shortcut - control shift  slash
and it would create the date. windows xp, I also have this same shortcut on the mac, i dont know how that was done either, but that is still working. thanks

Joe

Tracy

in any program for example on the mac I can be in any program, and when i need to insert a date i just use control shift slash and it creates the date, its very handy.  i would like to know how to create the shortcut on the pc, and mac too. On the mac it could be called keyboard shortcuts.

Joe

It doesn't work on my Mac. At least not with any combination I can find. Are you sure it isn't a 3rd party application that does it?

Tracy

not sure, thats probably what it is
Ill try and check it out and let you know what i find. thanks joe

Slappy

Not entirely related to the original post, but I recently found RocketDock and put it on my PeeCee at home. I freakin' love it! And it's 100% free!!!  :cool:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on May 15, 2008, 09:29:07 AMNot entirely related to the original post, but I recently found RocketDock and put it on my PeeCee at home. I freakin' love it! And it's 100% free!!!  :cool:

Sweet. Works in XP too. Thanks for the link.

David

here's one for all you pirate wannabes:

http://www.stardock.com/products/mycolors/gallery.asp?p=pirate

really cool, too bad they don't have it for a Mac.

Enjoy
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca