Feedback on colour management in PitStop Pro/Server

Started by abc, February 23, 2012, 06:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interested in your feedback on if you use the colour management in PitStop Pro/Server for colour conversion of PDF files

Yes, all the time
Yes, in some circumstances
No, because we find it difficult to use
No, because we don't like the results
No, because it lacks functionality we need
No, because we use another product

abc

Hi all
Interested to find out more about the use of the colour management functionality and what you think of it
If you do use it what can we do to improve it?
If you don't use it why, and what tools do you use instead?

David

you don't have an option in your poll, but we use color management, but from our Esko software.
It's more "on the fly" type of CM.
I do have several copies of Pitstop Pro, and I have an older version of Server that I don't use at all.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

abc

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Our version of Rampage removes ICC tagging, so while I used to use PS to remove a customer's ICC profile and apply our own, it's moot. Once we upgrade Rampage so that we can apply the proper ICC, we'll probably get more into color management. Right now we're kind of stuck with what we got... but as a small shop with local customers who don't really complain it's not really an issue for us.

We only have two customers who really gripe about color... one complains about a Pantone, and the other has a build that we now keep a Komori card on, so we're in really good shape and very lucky.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

abc

Ok, cool, but one question
what do you do if you get a pdf with an RGB image in it?
Where do you do the conversion to CMYK?

Tracy

usually in acrobat but I would be interested in the best way to convert.

abc

Well there's no right or wrong way as long as you get the result you need and want.

But if you are use PitStop for preflighting or fixing you can do it as a fix during the preflight, or fix it during editing.

The idea of the thread is to get a feel if people are using this functionality within PitStop and how we could improve it

DigiCorn

Quote from: abc on February 23, 2012, 09:50:37 AMOk, cool, but one question
I do use PS when it's a pdf, and I have an automated task that converts all RGB to CMYK with our ICC (even though Rampage doesn't use our ICC, it's still a good practice to get in to).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I let Prinergy EVO take care of the conversion 99% of the time. The other 1% is done in pitstop.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Thanks abc! I checked it out and created a profile in pitstop
I'm new to pitstop so I can't give you any feedback

Joe

Prinergy converts any colorspace to CMYK for us. I find the results better than using the Pitstop color management. We don't really use Pitstop/Acrobat preflight either as they both just generate too many results that mean nothing. Problem files I do use the preflights to see if it finds anything that might be relevant to the issue but basically every page gets a quick eyeball preflight and then sent into Prinergy where it then does a custom preflight that we've created and color manages via the Prinergy color management section of the process template.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

That's interesting feedback Joe
This might be a stupid question but why don't you create your own preflight profile specific for what you want to check or even fix?
That way you only see what you want to see and you can automatically fix the mundane day-to-day stuff that you always get?

David

I have my profiles set to what I want to check in Pitstop, for that one reason.
No extraneous info.
Livin' la Vida Loca

abc

Absolutely, the standard profiles are pretty generic for obvious reasons.

I always like to stick a few extra actions  specifically for my workflow like removal of rich black extra.

The standard profiles should be seen as a starting point, not the ultimate solution