Acrobat 8 is pathetic

Started by Joe, October 30, 2007, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I absolutely hate the way Acrobat 8 operates. I do a lot of manual preflighting and I've worked out my system to fly through PDF's by 1] open the PDF, 2] open the separation preview and move it to the right side of the screen so only the check boxes are visible and 3] using the arrow keys on the keyboard to flip to the next page while I'm clicking in the seps preview to turn colors on and off. Worked like a charm in Acro 6 & 7. Now 8 comes along and depending on what window has the focus you have to click the other window to 1] give it the focus and then 2] click the object you wanted to click to begin with. For example..if your seps preview has the focus the arrow keys on the keyboard won't work unless you click somethin on the page window to give it the focus. Once it has the focus and you want to click something in the seps preview you first have to click the seps preview to give it the focus and then click it again to do what you wanted to to do to begin with. Adobe has cut my preduction by 75% for their pretty interface and it sucks, sucks, sucks!!! :( :-[ :-X

Plus Acrobat 8 with Pitstop 7.22...bring up Pitstop action list and all is fine. Close Pitstop action list and reopen it and it shows a blank gray screen where the actions used to be. Have to quit out of Acrobat and reopen to see your actions again. Anoyone else seeing this with Pistop in Acro 8?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Adobe dropped the ball with Acrobat 8. Why Adobe doesn't come out with a prepress version of Acrobat is beyond me. take the best features from all the third party plugins and make them native.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

LOL...I posted about this on the Adobe forum. I wonder if the response will be any better from Adobe than my query to the Quark forums was from Quark?

ninjaPB_43

still in testing stages..   but I have been less than impressed..   I still use Acro 7 for 100% of my work.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

EyeTech

Does anyone else get the feeling that the interface has been 'dumbed down'? It looks like fisher price designed it.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Joe

LOL... Describes it perfectly. I need a tool to get real work done. Not a toy to play with.

Ear

Acrobat 8 makes it burn when I pee!  :o

I think Adobe brought the Vista team in to consult. I'm sure alcohol consumption by prepress workers will reach a new high this year.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

beermonster

can we get chuck noris to kick the crap outta acro 8 please - it sucks
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Captain_Type

I have been playing around with trying to get Acro 7 to open when double-clicking a PDF. So far, no success.
I tried the usual "Get Info/Always open with" thing, but it switches back to Acro 8.  :P
Moving/renaming Acrobat 8 doesn't work either.
I tried downloading a freeware control panel to give more control (no pun intended), but even that failed.
I suppose I can research some Unix commands to type into Terminal, but that seems rather extreme.
My other alternative, one that I know will work, is to move Acro 8 into the trash and empty it.  ;D
Does anyone else have a workaround that would keep it on the hard drive in case I need one of its...erm..."features?"

Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

David

I get it to crash on pretty much a regular basis for no reason at all. Usually when I close a PDF file.  WTF

I like the little message that pops up asking me if i want to re-open or cancel...

I have trouble deciding sometimes.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: david on November 07, 2007, 11:03:12 AMUsually when I close a PDF file. 

well, there's your problem..  you're not even suppose to open .pdf files in Acrobat..  Take it to Illustrator and open it there.. ;)

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

David

ah ha!

I knew there was something I was doing wrong...

thanks for the help PB!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

almaink

Quote from: Captain_Type on November 07, 2007, 10:26:10 AMI have been playing around with trying to get Acro 7 to open when double-clicking a PDF. So far, no success.
I tried the usual "Get Info/Always open with" thing, but it switches back to Acro 8.  :P
Moving/renaming Acrobat 8 doesn't work either.
I tried downloading a freeware control panel to give more control (no pun intended), but even that failed.
I suppose I can research some Unix commands to type into Terminal, but that seems rather extreme.
My other alternative, one that I know will work, is to move Acro 8 into the trash and empty it.  ;D
Does anyone else have a workaround that would keep it on the hard drive in case I need one of its...erm..."features?"

The trick is to have Acrobat 7 or whatever version you want to use, running when you doubleclick on the PDF.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

Yep, pretty much avoiding it for as long as poss. Got a similar reaction to Indy CS3. Indy CS2 just looks business-like...and works. Specially hate those stacked tabs for the windows in Indy CS3...ya gotta guess that the "L" must be Links... ??? ??? But then, prolly shooting myself in the foot by not getting used to it. As time goes on; more and more CS3 incoming.  ::) It's the old treadmill thing...ya never get there...

QuoteI have been playing around with trying to get Acro 7 to open when double-clicking a PDF. So far, no success.

Got a bit obsessed by this a few months ago over in PPF, Captain_Type. I now don't even think about it...just right click>Open With>Acro7...and if a CS2 file picks up a CS3 icon...Get Info>change back...a pain, but I hardly notice now. Pathetic I guess...
You're right, though, OSX just wants you to open the latest. Tried Default App...no go...don't bother

almaink's pretty right on that IME. Just have Acro 7 open.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gtrev

I could crap on for age's about this - I've got Acrobat 8 running Pitstop, but i can't look at it for long (what's with the retro greenish elfin interface that happens when opening files?) - I can navigate so much quicker in 7 and slap everything into shape! - Feck! even flicking thru pages in 8 is a chore - I need a lie down - oh yeah! - why hide output preview in another menu! f#*k! me.
What proof?