Weird networking issue

Started by Joe, February 27, 2012, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

...at home. If I look at my router page that shows attached devices it list a computer named jonijackson. I do not know a Joni Jackson but when I access the share I have full access to the user home folder including pics, video, documents, favorites, etc...

One would think they are using my network as an access point to my wireless router but the connection is listed as a wired connection...not a wireless connection. Plus I'm using WEP security on my wireless connection. It falls off of the network occasionally but always comes back a bit later. I've even went out and walked around the house to see if somehow, someone hadn't wired into my network. No strange ethernet cables running up to my house from anywhere. I've done a google search for Joni Jackson for my town but the closest result I found was one living in another town about 8 miles from here.

Any ideas?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

1. Pull all her files

2. Encrypt the drive

3. Profit?

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Stiv

Strange it is shown as wired. I have had iphones show up before i stopped broadcasting my SSID.

David

is this on your PC?

I found this:
scroll down to the bit from MS (third or forth post)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 27, 2012, 02:50:32 PM1. Pull all her files

2. Encrypt the drive

3. Profit?

I don't have access to the drive without a password. Only the User folder. After looking at the pics I can tell you I doubt there is any money to be had. :laugh:

Quote from: Stiv on February 27, 2012, 02:52:04 PMStrange it is shown as wired. I have had iphones show up before i stopped broadcasting my SSID.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of things on there before I enabled WEP a few months ago. The wired connection part is very puzzling. I really don't want strangers using my internet account doing who knows what that always comes back to my IP address.

Joe

Quote from: david on February 27, 2012, 02:54:29 PMis this on your PC?

I found this:
scroll down to the bit from MS (third or forth post)

It's from my router. I can access the share from either the PC or the Mac.

David

that'll teach me to read AND comprehend the post.   :laugh:

The phone call is coming from inside the house!
 :toaster:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on February 27, 2012, 03:01:08 PMthat'll teach me to read AND comprehend the post.   :laugh:

The phone call is coming from inside the house!
 :toaster:

First thing that crossed my mind! :spy:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2012, 02:55:44 PMAfter looking at the pics I can tell you I doubt there is any money to be had. :laugh:

Is she large?

Plz post when you solve this mystery.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on February 27, 2012, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2012, 02:55:44 PMAfter looking at the pics I can tell you I doubt there is any money to be had. :laugh:

Is she large?

Plz post when you solve this mystery.

She's not going to be doing any modeling for the SI swimsuit edition.

David

DCS been anywhere near you recently?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Nick Burns

You are indeed a brave soul running open or wep. This is trivial to break and isn't even worth turning on. I would never run less than WPA2 with a long & strong key, you should also enable mac address filtering.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

t-pat

I have one computer at home that won't do anything but wep with my setup (2 linksys wireless routers running DD-WRT firmware and bridged to give coverage throughout the house and to the garage). Easy enough to lock people out if you can count how many wireless devices you have at home, just set max clients to that number. Or if you wanna really limit who can connect, do MAC filtering as you say, with that there's not really any problem that I can see.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: Nick Burns on February 27, 2012, 03:30:16 PMYou are indeed a brave soul running open or wep. This is trivial to break and isn't even worth turning on. I would never run less than WPA2 with a long & strong key, you should also enable mac address filtering.

Like I said, the wireless is not a problem at the moment. The router does not have any ability to filter mac addresses for wired connections. Only for wireless which again...is NOT the problem.