New iMac

Started by Joe, May 22, 2013, 10:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

for prepress has arrived! 27" of glorious screen real estate. 2012 model. No DVD drive. Doubt if I need one with everyone moving to the cloud. This is the first 27" iMac we've bought for prepress and it's MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!!!!11

:spy2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thought you already had them in pp?   :huh:  As in, you were right up on the over-heating probs...   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Good & bad. I kinda hate that people are giving money to Apple. Someone I know went to the Apple Store here last week and dropped over 6K. I was like, "WHY?".
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 22, 2013, 11:11:56 PMThought you already had them in pp?   :huh:  As in, you were right up on the over-heating probs...   :undecided:

No, at work we only have the 21.5" iMacs (until now). I have a 27" at home. The 21.5" aluminum iMacs are still like little blast furnaces.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 22, 2013, 11:23:38 PMGood & bad. I kinda hate that people are giving money to Apple. Someone I know went to the Apple Store here last week and dropped over 6K. I was like, "WHY?".

At least we buy the refurbished ones. But buying from Apple isn't going away anytime soon here. The alternative is to use Windows PC's and I just can't handle prepress software on a PC.

frailer

Yeah, that old 'superior' Mac thing is dying, though I've got used to OSX. Too old to extend comfort zones.
Apple Stores are horrendous. I went in there to buy something specific. I uttered some LoTech jargon; got blank stare. Oh, that's right, it may have been about some hardware that was > 18 months old.
I vow never to set foot in one again. Like a roomful of personal trainers.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on May 23, 2013, 02:12:28 AMI vow never to set foot in one again. Like a roomful of personal trainers.

LOL. I will not repeat the story of my experience at an Apple Store in 2010. I'm still haunted to this day.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I only go to the Apple store and ask specifically for exactly what I want and go pay for it and leave immediately. I do not hang around and chit chat with the "genius" at the "bar".
Same with the AT&T store.

so stupid, they know less about the product than you do, and they're the genius, go figure.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

You mean like owners?  :laugh:

DigiCorn

:goodpost:

I'm on my third Linksys EA6500 router in 3+ months, having "broken" the last two. After posting on the forums, I've found workarounds to make multiple peripheral devices work that they say won't, and while I bought the router that supports simultaneous streaming of 7+ HD devices, and something ridiculous like 50-100 other devices, they always seem shocked when I contact support and they ask how many wireless devices are connecting and I say, "only 18," (but only 7 are capable of streaming HD and are NEVER streaming at the same time). Why the fuck are these people in tech support? I know more about how to break their crappy product then they do.

I really respect the last guy who called me from Linksys, though. He says (at the beginning of the call), "I read through the notes, and I'm not going to waste your time asking you about stuff I know you already tried. What's your address, so I can rma you a new one?" Then he asked about the Sacramento Kings and if I were excited they were staying put. I asked him where he was, and he said, "offshore." The guy spoke perfect English. Then he told me Belkin bought Linksys, and I was like, "that's why this thing is a piece of shit."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Most likely Philippino. They are the best at language coaching their call centre people.
 I wonder what happened to nocampo? He was a fun guy. Always working somewhere remote to send money back to family. Tough stuff for those guys. Last heard in Dubai.
Here's what happens when you work there. Stinkin' petrol feifdoms.
Vowed never to fly their stinkin' Emirates, either. Not that I'm in the regular habit of jumping on international flights.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 23, 2013, 07:50:11 PMMost likely Philippino. They are the best at language coaching their call centre people.
 I wonder what happened to nocampo? He was a fun guy. Always working somewhere remote to send money back to family. Tough stuff for those guys. Last heard in Dubai.
Here's what happens when you work there. Stinkin' petrol feifdoms.
Vowed never to fly their stinkin' Emirates, either. Not that I'm in the regular habit of jumping on international flights.

Wow! That's why I like staying close to home. :laugh:

DigiCorn

So working on the new router tonight. It's busted. I told them to reimburse me and I'd go buy the ASUS.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 23, 2013, 10:02:09 PMSo working on the new router tonight. It's busted. I told them to reimburse me and I'd go buy the ASUS.

Have you updated the firmware since you bought it? I've seen firmware updates turn a working router into a piece of non-functional crap. In fact I have a Netgear where that happened to me. Reverted to the previous version and it works like a champ again. The moral of the story? If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

DigiCorn

It won't even boot up. I plugged it in, and it never stopped flashing. Couldn't even log in to it for setup. Had to hook the old shitty one back up.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway