New iMac

Started by Joe, May 22, 2013, 10:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on May 23, 2013, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 23, 2013, 10:36:28 PMWe have a new guy at work who actually cares about fixing things. He said the fan prob can be remedied so I'll let you know how it turns out. He called it a Mach 9 or something.  :laugh:

If it's a bad sensor or the logic board it will just have to run until it melts into a pool of aluminum and plastic.
So, what are the "acceptable" temps for the various CPUs, RAM, etc. inside a G5 Tower? Installed iStat & Temperature Monitor here but not sure what's normal on these rigs.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Apple doesn't publish anything like that as far as I know. If you look around online you can find temps listed that people say are fine but who knows if they know what they are talking about. I guess if your fans aren't blowing like a 747 that whatever temp is showing is normal.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

I actually suspect the fans in mine (and possibly the other 2 Mac Towers in here) have stopped running altogether. I do suspect they've likely never been opened up & blown clean so I can't imagine what they look like on the inside. Kinda figure if they cook themselves, we'll finally get new hardware so what do I care?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

if you smell burning hair, it's time to replace them?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on May 24, 2013, 01:24:26 PMI actually suspect the fans in mine (and possibly the other 2 Mac Towers in here) have stopped running altogether. I do suspect they've likely never been opened up & blown clean so I can't imagine what they look like on the inside. Kinda figure if they cook themselves, we'll finally get new hardware so what do I care?

If you can cook an egg on the outside of the case...they may be running hot! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.