When is it "too much"?

Started by Joe, June 18, 2013, 10:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

This is crazy...

$8 million speakers? Home theaters fit for a king

How about some speaker cable priced at $45,000?

Obviously these folks are not in prepress.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

obviously some folks didn't suffer from the "financial crisis" as much as others.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

I saw this guy on HGTV's million dollar rooms show. Basically the guy just likes movies, and he likes sound. He did all the work himself. For $1 million, you'd think he could hire someone to do a better job.

[edit]The webpage says it's actually $6 million worth of equipment...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

yeah, but can it make a margarita?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

I think I saw that room picture before, and the comments went along with what I thought, for that much money it should at least include some cable management, what a mess o spaghetti on the floor!
vdp donkey

Grimace

1 pair $800 Tannoy speakers. Done. I'm so hi-tech. :sarcasm:

DigiCorn

About 10 years ago after my divorce, I decided I wanted a high-tech setup I wouldn't have to replace again for 20 years, so I bought Definitive Technology Pro Series speakers. In all, I spent about $2500 just on the speakers (2 towers, a center channel, 2 Pro Series 80 backs, 2 Pro Series 60 surrounds and a 8" powered sub). I don't have a proper amp to drive them all, though; My Sony is a bit underpowered - doesn't even have hdmi.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

HiFi does seem to attract the discretionary dollar. Having said that, did replace the Yamaha system my wife bought in about 1980.  :embarrassed:  Though I had had the speakers re-cored/reseated, due to Sydney's humidity.
Like you digi, Definitive Technologies; these are bi-polars. Even my aging ears like them.   :laugh:
Got some Jamo Art speakers in the kitchen/living area. Clever wall-mounted. Pushed by a very nice Vector Research amp obtained from fleabay for about $150. While it still goes, and hasn't popped any capacitors, it's amazing.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

I picked these up at a thrift for $10 and had them refoamed and the mids doped up. They are to my ears quite adequate, driven by my HK AVR-135. I built some stands for them out of 1" thick butcher block and 1" black plumbing pipe. The stands weigh more than the speakers, which is nice.

(same model, not these exact ones)
http://silverfacestereo.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/to-the-point-design-acoustic-ps10a/

Design Acoustic PS-10 bookshelf speakers. Interesting little guys, they are an odd dimension and have a downward firing 10" woofer.
vdp donkey

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on June 18, 2013, 04:30:14 PM...and have a downward firing 10" woofer.
Similar to the Jamo Arts, by the sounds. They have a 2" ish hole, bottom centre, at about 45º. They effectively use the wall as a bass sounding board. Helps when it's rendered brick, which we have.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on June 18, 2013, 04:50:15 PM
Quote from: t-pat on June 18, 2013, 04:30:14 PM...and have a downward firing 10" woofer.
Similar to the Jamo Arts, by the sounds. They have a 2" ish hole, bottom centre, at about 45º. They effectively use the wall as a bass sounding board. Helps when it's rendered brick, which we have.

sealed cabinet, no port. The woofer literally faces straight down. This is accomplished by the speakers having an extra section, a "stand" if you will - there's a board, then some standoffs that leave a gap, then the actual speaker cabinet.

like so
vdp donkey

andyfest

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 18, 2013, 11:24:32 AMI saw this guy on HGTV's million dollar rooms show. Basically the guy just likes movies, and he likes sound. He did all the work himself. For $1 million, you'd think he could hire someone to do a better job.

[edit]The webpage says it's actually $6 million worth of equipment...
Agreed, saw that show - he needs a maid.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I love my music but that's a little stupid. My infinity towers I got as a crack gift works just fine though I would like to replace my Yamaha amp mainly because the remote died and I have to get up and change the volume. My klipsch sub in my newest purchase but I can barley turn it up. I put it past a quarter and I should start streaming whatever I'm watching to my neighbors.

Anyone spending tons of money on speaker wire is a moron. Other interconnects, maybe I'll spend a little but I've read too many blind tests where "audiophiles" can't tell the difference between the thousand dollar cables and standard lamp cord. Don't get me started on people buying hundred dollar wood replacement knobs or magic rocks. Seriously, fucking rocks in a bag. Look at the last entry Here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

What's wrong with magic rocks? They work for me.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david