It's 2022 what font program are you using on Mac?

Started by Foozball, April 07, 2022, 07:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

I have a heap of BS work I'm sending out to a contract designer, for text changes ... I'm getting tired of it and would like to do them myself, when time permits. (It's quicker and saves on formality!)

AI doesn't like my font program though, any suggestions or recommendations?
Don't need to be free either - we're under budget this year, so I see a few new things in my future. ;)

Joe

Included with CC subscription: You have a creative cloud account? You could use the Adobe fonts from the Creative Cloud account. Of course that won't work if the fonts being used are not available in the Creative Cloud library and you don't want to replace them with fonts that are.

Free: I'm not a fan of font management. I just create folders in the Users/~/Library/Fonts folder and place the fonts in there. Then remove that folder when I'm done with that job.

Not Free: I always liked Linotype Font Explorer when it was free. They no longer have a free version but you can get a 30 day free trial to check it out. Linotype Font Explorer Price is $99.99 for 1 user 2 devices (not a subscription).
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

2nd Linotype Font Explorer. I'm still using the free version but will likely need to get the paid version next time I upgrade my OS.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

If you go past Mojave you will have to.  ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I used to use Linotype, but in the last few years I went back to using Suitcase, works great...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Suitcase Fusion 6 here, on Mojave, then Suitcase Fusion v22 on Catalina. Works great, but I liked Font Explorer for a while too.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

scottrsimons

I've been just using Mac's Font Book for years. I liked Font Explorer, but once I could no longer use it for free, I just started using the one on the Mac. Been working just fine.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

madbugger

suitcase teams (whatever version it is up to). it's subscription now (don't know cost).  Best part of it is when used properly (hardly ever), everyone is using the same centralised version of the font (except when designers go rogue and load  a font onto their desktop and don't share it).
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Tracy

whenever I need fonts for illustrator  I use the Adobe Fonts Folder
I keep a shortcut on the desktop so I can just drop and remove fonts easily

I think you are asking about illustrator?

Foozball

Thanks all ... this is a corporate deal, where we get files from all over the place/world, but I can't get variations of basic system fonts to work properly.

I want to throw money at the issue first (because this is the first time I CAN!) then maybe try to fix it later if that fails.
Tomorrow the questions starts then get ready to fill in forms/requests ...  :shoots_self: :death:

DigiCorn

I hate Suitcase, but using FontBase at home, and it kinda sucks, so I vote Suitcase
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

bornrd

It's 2022, why do fonts still not have tags
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

Foozball

Quote from: bornrd on April 11, 2022, 01:38:32 AMIt's 2022, why do fonts still not have tags
"It's still broke, so we won't fix it! ... Hey, let's F with the Pantone palette ... "
  - Adobe

pspdfppdfxhd

I'm using FontXplorer X Pro. It can automatically activate fonts for documents if they are not active but it seems to take a long time to open files when this is happening. Especially since updating to Big Sur.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I guess it's okay. Have always used a font manager.

bornrd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on April 11, 2022, 09:54:03 AMIt can automatically activate fonts for documents if they are not active but it seems to take a long time to open files when this is happening. Especially since updating to Big Sur.

If I understand you correctly, this takes mere seconds with Suitcase Fusion.

We have like 40k fonts, what's your number?
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings