Frigging calendars

Started by Farabomb, October 19, 2010, 10:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I just got 2 calendars set up as spreads and I now have to break them apart so I cam impose them. Anyone run into this on a regular basis and have any tricks they would like to share? I can kinda understand why the designers did it this way but it makes it a pain on my end... not that designers have ever considered the lowly prepresser when they create their great masterpieces.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Nope. I make a .pdf and then place the (in spreads) pdf by hand, page by page into an ID file (sliding each on up or down to center; I also place them properly rotated as well). I apply the spot varnish as needed. Then I make a new pdf for Rampage. That way, when imposing in Preps, I can actually add a creep that goes in the correct direction. Been bitten in the ass too many times on calendars to not want to spend the extra time to do it this way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

instead of looking at it as a calendar i look at it as a booklet left to right
kind of takes away the confusion of the head direction and  impoing
since your having to separate the pages, do 1-ups?

If you look at a calendar this way all heads go left except the back page

frailer

Tracy's onto something there. But calendars certainly are a pain in the date. These days I set them up as Flatwork sheets in XMF; manually numbered and rotated. Then I map the pages manually off my impo., rotate pages as needed, as XMF has a 'page mapping window If I didn't have XMF, I guess it woulda been PREPS or Dyna...or Indy. No easy answer on calendars.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

It ended up working exactly like Tracy said. I placed the spreads over 2 separate pages, rotated 90 and off it went. Coming out of the proofer shortly. I have never needed to put creep into a calendar but I can see how it can go all wonky. This is the 3rd calendar I've gotten this week and I'm still playing catchup from when a "world class designer" sent me a file with nothing but FPO's and unlinked higres images.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on October 19, 2010, 02:14:22 PM...when a "world class designer" sent me a file with nothing but FPO's and unlinked higres images.

we get those a bunch, it only takes about 10 times longer to preflight the job.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Yea, not all the images were there either. Asked for the missing ones, got the same damn thing renamed sent to me. Said screw it, it's going through as is then I get harassed about when she's getting the proof. Luckily this wasn't face to face or I would have hit her with my crutch.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job