Copy fonts from NTFS share and they break.

Started by t-pat, September 06, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Using CIFS/SMB the whole way. (AFP is off completely)

To reiterate, I take a zipped fonts folder, unzip it with my mac, on the NAS. Fonts are good.
Copy the unzipped fonts to my mac, they're good.
Copy them back to the NAS, broken. All CIFS/SMB.
MOVE from one folder to another on the nas, good.
Copy from one folder on the nas to another, broken
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Just re-read your other posts. I see you are not using Apple Double. We are. Maybe that is the issue? We only see the 2nd file if we turn on the option to view invisible files so it's not a big deal to have two files for everything for us. We only see the one.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on September 07, 2012, 10:53:52 AMJust re-read your other posts. I see you are not using Apple Double. We are. Maybe that is the issue? We only see the 2nd file if we turn on the option to view invisible files so it's not a big deal to have two files for everything for us. We only see the one.

turning it on will probably break everything that wasn't copied that way.
Also we have about 18TB live between 2 nas so it would double all the files going forward.
vdp donkey

Joe

Have you done this on your Macs?

***************************************************************************************************************************
To enable named streams for Mac clients on a per SMB mount point basis

Mount the NAS device or Windows server on your Mac via SMB. Note: A NAS is used in the below command examples.
    Run the Terminal command ls /Volumes and note the proper mount name for your shared NAS.
    Run this command in Terminal (replace Shared NAS with the proper mount name of your shared NAS):

touch "/Volumes/Shared NAS/.com.apple.smb.streams.on"

Eject the NAS or Windows server by dragging it to the Trash.
    Mount the NAS or Windows server  again. Named streams will be active.
    If you have legacy AppleDouble files, execute this command in Terminal to convert them before using them.

dot_clean --keep=dotbar "/Volumes/Shared NAS"

Important: Once converted, all Mac clients accessing this data will have to have named streams enabled.

To enable named streams as a default for your Mac OS X client user account

Execute these two commands in Terminal:

echo "[default]" >>  ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf
echo "streams=yes" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

To enable named streams as a default for all Mac OS X client user accounts on a Mac

Log in to Mac OS X with an admin user account if you aren't already logged in as an admin, then execute these two commands in Terminal:

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
echo "streams=yes" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
***************************************************************************************************************************

Joe

t-pat

vdp donkey

Joe

Huh? It enables named streams and converts Apple Double (if you had any) to named streams.

Quotecan be leveraged to avoid using AppleDouble files

t-pat

sorry, didn't read it thoroughly and apparently neither did he, I sent this to him yesterday. I'll point that out to him.

Also it says this:
"Mac OS X v10.6 clients automatically enable named streams over SMB when the NAS or Windows server claims to support it. " - we're on 10.6xx
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on September 07, 2012, 11:52:12 AMsorry, didn't read it thoroughly and apparently neither did he, I sent this to him yesterday. I'll point that out to him.

Also it says this:
"Mac OS X v10.6 clients automatically enable named streams over SMB when the NAS or Windows server claims to support it. " - we're on 10.6xx

Yeah, I don't usually trust it when they say that. I prefer doing it myself just to be sure it is actually doing it.

t-pat

I think part of the problem is that he's big on cloning installs and it might be coming from a bad clone.
vdp donkey

t-pat

he says streams are enabled anyway.
whatevs. I don't care, the scenario is rare, I unzip on the server and don't copy shit to my desktop unless some special situation requires it.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

I work local... ALWAYS. Maybe that's why I don't run into this problem.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

so uhh all your jobs are kept on your mac, and never go to a server?
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Here's the process...

Pick up the job and if it's new, create a new folder locally and work it.

If it's changes on a previous job, I copy it from the server local and make the changes.

At the end of each day before I go home, I copy all my local jobs back to the server.

Rinse and repeat.

I NEVER work off the server. Furthermore, if I start on a job, I finish it. If another operator works on a job, he finishes it. It saves on time trying to figure out what another guy does to a job and it keeps us from having redundant jobs local. The server copy is ALWAYS the most recent.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

T-pat, DCS is in the stone age...  he actually still uses quark for gods sake

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca