"How does she make a PDF?"

Started by gnubler, April 29, 2010, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I got a Pooplisher file and based on the laser print I knew right away there were going to be issues. I asked the CSR if the customer could just supply a PDF instead.

"How does she make a PDF?"

Besides losing all signs of life in your facial expressions and dropping your eyes to the ground, how do you normally answer this question? With all the various possible systems & software running on Windows I don't even know where to begin or what to suggest. Do recent versions of Pub have any sort of PDF writer built in?  :puke:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

yeah, but with your most recent bout of luck, they probably have the antique version that outputs a piece of stone with carved pictographs!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In all seriousness, find out what version of Pooplisher they have, and if they have Acrobat installed. They'll need that to write the PDF.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on April 29, 2010, 12:35:45 PMIn all seriousness, find out what version of Pooplisher they have, and if they have Acrobat installed.

"How does she know which version it is?" I can hear it already...  :sleepy:

Acrobat Reader or a full version?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mwc

Quote from: gnubler on April 29, 2010, 12:29:57 PM...Do recent versions of Pub have any sort of PDF writer built in? .....

Punisher 2007 has a  Save as PDF and XPS plug-in (have to download it)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en

David

Quote from: gnubler on April 29, 2010, 12:39:43 PM
Quote from: david on April 29, 2010, 12:35:45 PMIn all seriousness, find out what version of Pooplisher they have, and if they have Acrobat installed.

"How does she know which version it is?" I can hear it already...  :sleepy:

Acrobat Reader or a full version?
It will need to be a full version, Reader doesn't come with the Adobe driver to create PDF files
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

And no matter if you get a Publisher file or a PDF you are going to have to fix it.

I prefer the plug-in that mwc linked. They don't need Acrobat w/distiller if the have it and it has a built in Commercial Printer setting for making the PDF...but it will still need to be "fixed" afterward.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

do you need to take it to the Vet to be "fixed" or will DCS come over and do it?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on April 29, 2010, 12:52:02 PMdo you need to take it to the Vet to be "fixed" or will DCS come over and do it?

It's sort of like an in-home circumcision.

David

ah, a "do-it-yourself" kit

I'm sure DCS has one, too!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on April 29, 2010, 12:54:39 PMah, a "do-it-yourself" kit

I'm sure DCS has one, too!

DCS invented it! :shocked:

DigiCorn

I have to borrow one from the master, Andrew "Dice" Clay here. Telling a Publisher user how to collect files for output, or how to make a pdf is 'like masturbating with a cheese grater. Amusing, but painful.'
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Matt had suggested we output postcript in RGB (if that's what she has to do)
and convert afterwards. He had other suggestions in another thread.
does anyone remember where the thread is?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 29, 2010, 02:00:40 PMMatt had suggested we output postcript in RGB (if that's what she has to do)
and convert afterwards. He had other suggestions in another thread.
does anyone remember where the thread is?

I think basically he meant to NOT let Publisher convert the RGB to CMYK no matter how you make the PDF, leave it RGB to be converted either with Acrobat, Pitstop, or the RIP and I agree because the Publisher conversion is not good on a lot of stuff.

tuff_gong

Marksware has an ID plug-in that opens Pub files. I think there's a time-delimited demo.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

tuff_gong

"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"