Wanted: Ubuntu Guru help

Started by Joe, November 29, 2007, 09:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Okay, I've got Ubuntu 7.10 Server installed (for like the 6th time - same thing happens with each install). It created my username: joe and I gave it a password. No problem so far. It boots to the login. I enter my username and password and it logs me in just fine. The problem is that I can't use any form of su or sudo. It tells me I'm not in the sudoers file. So I go off to Ubuntus support area and see I should be in the admin group but when I try to add myself to the admin group (in recovery mode as root) it tells me the admin group does not exist. So I check what group my username is in and it's in a group called "adm". Well according to Ubuntu there should be a group called both adm and admin so I open the "group" file and add the admin group and put myself in it, save the file, re-boot and now right before the login screen it gives out some text instructing me to use sudo for admin commands. Great! It now recognizes me as being an admin but when I try to use sudo again it tells me I'm not in the sudoers file again (and it's going to report me to the Ubuntu Secret Police   ;D ). Now I've been into the sudoers file with visudo about 8,000 times trying different suggestions from the Ubuntu web site and no matter what I try I always get the message that I' not in the sudoers file and it won't let me run any administrative commands.

This shouldn't be this freaking hard! Any ideas from anyone would be most welcome.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Ahhhh....finally got it lined out. RTFM Joe!!! I can sudo now. I'm so happy!!!

In case anyone is interested...

I had to add the line:

%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

to the sudoers file which I had done but I didn't realize it was saving it to a file named sudoers.tmp instead of just sudoers so when I would reboot, the sudoers file it was reading was still the original without my changes.

Damn computers...    :'(

David

I was going to mention that...

but you beat me to it.

haha!
you geeks amaze me!

8)

PS. I use the term "geek" in a most respectful manner, meaning you know way more than me and I bow to your knowledge.
I can't even pronounce "Ubuntu" much less know what the hell you're talking about.

cheers!
David

and watch out for the secret police...
or a ninja,
whichever comes first.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Oh, that baby is purring like a kitten now with mysql and PHP 5 serving up web pages like there is no tomorrow. Of course it's just my internal test web server. Found a use for the old 400 mHz Celeron PC. No GUI...all command line geekdom at it's finest.

David

edit to fix size issue...
crap, can't seem to make it big enough to read...

man...
bummed

yay!!!!!

finally got it!
Livin' la Vida Loca

jezza

I thought everything was bigger in Texas  ;)  :P
one sick prepress mofo

David

it is, just not on the screen at the moment...

and I have a fairly large screen, to boot!

LOL
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on December 04, 2007, 10:10:54 AM

edit to fix size issue...
crap, can't seem to make it big enough to read...

man...
bummed

Thanks buddy...now I'll wonder all day long what that said! :P