Extended gamut (7 colour) printing

Started by andyfest, January 25, 2018, 11:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Just wondering if anyone out there is using extended gamut printing (7 colour process), esp. with regard to Esko's Equinox format? The issue of extended gamut printing raises it's ugly head every 5 or 6 years here and I just wanted to get feedback from anyone using it in a sheetfed environment.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

abc

Just got back from the PIA Color Conference in San Diego and the EG sessions were packed.
I think it might be coming of age.

Tracy

abc

And very nice it was too, much warmer than home.

beermonster

i work for a global giant. i think either fixed palette or EG is on the cards. i get the principal and the commercial reasoning. we have flexo and litho. not entirely convinced. i am sure our R&D gang are looking into it as its been mentioned a few times
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

StudioMonkey

7 colour printing? Anyone remember Hexachrome? That was CMYK+Orange+Green usually.
Joking aside, the HP Indigo is a 7 colour digital press which I have seen amazing results from.  They were running CMYK+ Orange+Violet.  Good for more accurate colour matching of the Pantone gamut which CMYK can't do very well.  It's supposed to be able to run spot colours as well.  I used to have a 6 colour desktop inkjet which was great for photos (CMYK+lightC+lightM).
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

andyfest

Quote from: StudioMonkey on February 08, 2018, 08:03:39 AM7 colour printing? Anyone remember Hexachrome? That was CMYK+Orange+Green usually.
Joking aside, the HP Indigo is a 7 colour digital press which I have seen amazing results from.  They were running CMYK+ Orange+Violet.  Good for more accurate colour matching of the Pantone gamut which CMYK can't do very well.  It's supposed to be able to run spot colours as well.  I used to have a 6 colour desktop inkjet which was great for photos (CMYK+lightC+lightM).
Bottom line is that no-one will claim 100% spot colour accuracy, even with 7 colour technology, so it's a moot point with us. A few flexo plants are using it for big runs of say, chip bags, but very few sheetfed applications that I've heard of.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DPSprint

Quote from: StudioMonkey on February 08, 2018, 08:03:39 AM7 colour printing? Anyone remember Hexachrome? That was CMYK+Orange+Green usually.
that what we run... the spot orange gets used a fair bit, as well as the spot white and occasionally the digital matte clear.
 Dont think the purple has been used for anything I can recall. And I dont think its been used to match pantone colours with the spots... not that I know of anyway!

Lammy

Three's another "extended" gamut coming. It's being developed by an ink company and some of the folks that put together the original G7 standard. Still CMYK but brighter, wider, pigments in the ink.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Fat Boy Tim

We've had a play with E.G. on our HP Indigo (CMYKOVG) but we found the moire was unacceptable for some brand colours. We have the old IMS {ink mixing system) so we have stuck with that. If you are not printing large blocks of solid colour then it might be for you.