Need a new Mac...help

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, November 30, 2023, 10:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on December 16, 2023, 02:48:51 PM
Quote from: scottrsimons on December 01, 2023, 08:45:07 AMI was shocked by getting a beefed up mini myself but they are working just fine. Although I remember saying the same thing when I first got my first iMac. It wasn't a tower, "professional" Mac. But haven't looked back. And now think the same about the mini/studio. We don't worry about color on screen too much. We proof it and know what moves we need to move from there.

The other thing we did for compatibility reasons, was to setup the old iMac either next to the operator or in a spot where they can remote into them if need be for the software they would not run on the new system. Since we are in a production environment, not everything gets updated right away. But there are times where the computer needs to be and we have to fight all the other issues for a bit. That's how we get around it. FYI.
Is remoting on a Mac hard? I tried it once there was some bizzare command line in terminal. Couldn't get it to work, got frustrated and gave up. The microsoft remote works great from Macs to pcs.
MAC to MAC? Use Screen Sharing that is on all Macs in the OS. Really easy if are you doing it to Macs in the same location but if you want to do it from a Mac at home to a Mac at work you will have to port forward in your router settings.

You can also use Chrome Desktop which is free from Google. You can do Mac to Mac, Mac to PC, PC to Mac, or PC to PC from anywhere and you don't have to mess with router/firewall settings.

Or go with Slappy's suggestion but as he said you will have to do the port forwarding in the router there too.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on December 16, 2023, 02:59:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 14, 2023, 10:00:02 AMMy new iMac from Apple came with Ventura on it. I updated it to Sonoma because I don't have to worry about prepress software anymore. :P
Called Apple support to find out if they could tell me how to find a new one with Ventura installed. You know, maybe by the serial number or something. I was told i would have to buy one, open it and boot it up and see. Really? How many attempts may that take i wondered... 1, 2, 500?
You can tell the first time you boot it what version of OS is on it. I got my M3 Mac about a month after Sonoma came out but it still had Ventura on it. The longer amount of time it is from the release date of the OS the more likely it is to have the latest OS on it.

I mean I would do the install of Ventura for you except you are in Canada and it is freaking winter time.  :freezing:

:lmao:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks for the offer but yeah, there is a distance issue here.

The powers that be agree that we need someone else to set this up so there's no pressure except if the old Mac dies.

My do it yourself confidence is not great these days since i tried to change a clothes dryer belt watching a youtube video. Parts all over the floor, totally lost but it looked easy on youtube. Miraculously i managed to eventually get it done but it was not pretty.

Possum

Hey, it had to be better than a friend of mine who did the same thing but decided that the belt needed to be lubricated. I don't remember what he put on it (this was before YouTube days), but I guess you know how that turned out.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

Quote from: Possum on December 17, 2023, 05:54:34 PMHey, it had to be better than a friend of mine who did the same thing but decided that the belt needed to be lubricated. I don't remember what he put on it (this was before YouTube days), but I guess you know how that turned out.
:ohno:
Could you Armor-all the seat of my dirtbike while yer at it?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

RMPrepress

I remote in to my Mac at work all the time from home using Apples remote desktop.
It works flawlessly everytime.
We have a Palo Alto firewall and their VPN app called Global Protect is fantastic.
Never have an issue connecting to our work LAN from home.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Possum

Don't say that too loud, you know what will happen.

DigiCorn

You Tube can be great sometimes, but also a clusterf--- sometimes. When I had my '03 Chevy, the headlight went out and there was also a recall about the same time (turn signal malfunction). I asked them if they could change the bulb during the recall fix and they told me it was $200 for 2 hours of labor. 2 hours of labor to change a bulb? I watched a YouTube and you had to take off the grill and some of the front end to even get to the bulb. First time it happened, I did it in 45 minutes. Second time about 20 because I knew what I was doing.

I also used YouTube to fix my XBox 360 when the DVD-ROM wouldn't eject. Basically, I learned how to take the case apart, removed the drive and replace the little rubber band that used friction to spin and open and close the drawer; it would build up with dust and slip (or stretch out). Basically YouTube taught me to boil some water, drop the band in (to clean it and make it shrink) and replace it. I've done it three times (one for each of my 360s).

I tried to use YouTube to replace bearings on my old dryer, but it ended up resulting in me purchasing a new dryer.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

I guess one thing is trying to decide if the guy who posted the video knew what he was doing to begin with. I watched some videos of people replacing some rot on the bottom of their outer door jamb and they all looked fairly similar, so I had a little confidence. I replaced a 2 ft. section with something made of poly so it won't rot again. I'm not handy with carpentry and I didn't have the best tools for the job, but it sure beats paying somebody else to do it.

On the other hand, I finally found a deer antler in my yard after almost 30 years here, and wanted to know what to use, if anything to preserve it. Every video I saw said something different. I just took a guess and used Murphy's Oil Soap. Seemed to do well. I now have it attached to a slice of cedar tree I had and hung it for a key rack. Then I found an even bigger antler and still don't know what I'm going to do with that.

born2print

I also used YouTube to fix my XBox 360 when the DVD-ROM wouldn't eject. Basically, I learned how to take the case apart, removed the drive and replace the little rubber band that used friction to spin and open and close the drawer; it would build up with dust and slip (or stretch out). Basically YouTube taught me to boil some water, drop the band in (to clean it and make it shrink) and replace it. I've done it three times (one for each of my 360s).

That trick works for turn tables as well :thumbsup:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

madbugger

Quote from: Possum on December 18, 2023, 12:56:10 PM. Then I found an even bigger antler and still don't know what I'm going to do with that.
Do you have a dog? They love to chew them and they're great for their teeth.

Or if you know someone who makes knives, they make great handles.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Possum

No, I don't have a dog, but thanks for the tips. Actually, since I've waited this long to finally find one, even though I do see deer at least once a year in my yard, I'm going to think of some way to hang it. It's a 7-point, while the one that holds keys is a 3-point.

madbugger

The Antlers I found about 30 yrs ago. They were attached to the head when I found them, and the head was attached to the rest of the deer. ;D
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Tracy

He's just joking, I see nothing!

pspdfppdfxhd

Back to Mac, is anyone actually running sonoma with adobe apps? Our tech guy now says he is having trouble downgrading to Ventura. Ahhhhhhhhhh!