Can Windows XP even communicate with Windows 10??

Started by Fontaholic, May 26, 2016, 10:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

Ever since one of our PCs upgraded itself to Windows 10 overnight ( :toaster: ) a couple months ago, our UPS computer (which runs on Windows XP) cannot print to an HP LaserJet laser printer that's connected to the now-Windows 10 computer.

Before, when the Windows 10 computer was running Windows 7, the Windows XP UPS computer could communicate to that laser printer just fine...

What I'm wondering (in my long-winded way) is -- can Windows XP communicate with Windows 10 at all, or is Windows 10 "too advanced" to communicate with the no-longer-supported-by-Microsoft Windows XP??

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Joe

I can connect to our old XP CIP3 PC from Windows 10. You will probably need to make sure the Printer is installed and shared on Windows 10 and then setup the printer again on the XP machine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Ping the Win 10 from the XP box. If it can see it then it can talk to it. Pretty sure Joe hit the nail on the head though. Figure if M$ is shitty enough to upgrade itself, it probably didn't install the printer or share it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on May 26, 2016, 11:03:33 AMPing the Win 10 from the XP box. If it can see it then it can talk to it. Pretty sure Joe hit the nail on the head though. Figure if M$ is shitty enough to upgrade itself, it probably didn't install the printer or share it.

It must have installed the printer drivers on its own hard drive, because that printer is in constant use by the W10 computer...

How do I go about sharing the printer, or making it sharable with the XP dinosaur?  It's been so long since I've had to do this that I dont' remember!

Cheers,

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on May 26, 2016, 11:03:33 AMPing the Win 10 from the XP box. If it can see it then it can talk to it. Pretty sure Joe hit the nail on the head though. Figure if M$ is shitty enough to upgrade itself, it probably didn't install the printer or share it.

Remind me -- in order to ping the W10 from the XP, do I need to know the W10's IP address?

Cheers,

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on May 26, 2016, 11:21:32 AM

It must have installed the printer drivers on its own hard drive, because that printer is in constant use by the W10 computer...

How do I go about sharing the printer, or making it sharable with the XP dinosaur?  It's been so long since I've had to do this that I dont' remember!

Cheers,

Right click the printer on the Win 10 machine. Sharing is on one of the options I think. Or in one of the options from the right click. Should be easy to find.

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on May 26, 2016, 11:22:44 AM

Remind me -- in order to ping the W10 from the XP, do I need to know the W10's IP address?

Cheers,

Yes. You can find that info from the Win 10 Command Prompt. Type in ipconfig and hit enter.

DigiCorn

I think it works, but only on the Pro version of XP
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on May 26, 2016, 11:26:33 AM
Quote from: Fontaholic on May 26, 2016, 11:21:32 AM

Cheers,

Right click the printer on the Win 10 machine. Sharing is on one of the options I think. Or in one of the options from the right click. Should be easy to find.

Before I left today, I right-clicked on the Windows 10 printer icon and enabled sharing for it.  Also got the IP address from the Windows Command prompt like you suggested.

Now all I need to do is turn on the ol' XP machine and see what, if anything, I can do to get these two pieces of silicon talking to each other again...

Cheers,

Joe

You will need to setup the printer on the old XP machine again as the old one will not work because basically it is a different printer, even though it is the same physical printer, but it is a new install of the printer on Win 10. The Win 10 installer deleted the old Win 7 printer and installed it again using Win 10 drivers.

wonderings

I had a connection issue when I upgrade my Mac to OS 10.9.. I think, one of those versions. This was to print to our RIP on a Win XP machine. I contacted support from Presstek (who we had our CTP and our RIP from at the time) and they were helpful in walking me through the new way I had to setup the printer. I can't remember exactly what changed, but it was a very different way then previous. I would imagine if Mac OS 10.11 can connect, Windows 10 will be able to as well, just might have to set it up differently.

Farabomb

You are correct. The networking protocol is the same (as long as you're lot playing with appletalk or some obscure protocol like Novell or banyan vines) though how apple and PC implement it can be a bit different. There has always been networking issues with printers but it's far easier now to talk across platforms than it was in the past. I still have nightmares of my Novell class and having to connect to a windows network.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Quote from: Farabomb on May 27, 2016, 07:00:51 AMYou are correct. The networking protocol is the same (as long as you're lot playing with appletalk or some obscure protocol like Novell or banyan vines) though how apple and PC implement it can be a bit different. There has always been networking issues with printers but it's far easier now to talk across platforms than it was in the past. I still have nightmares of my Novell class and having to connect to a windows network.

Used to be a real headache for sure, I am glad that when I started we had a tech guy who looked after that. Now I can figure most things out on my own with my buddy google.

I did look at old emails with what I was supposed to change in our setup and had to create socket inputs on our Harlequin RIP. I could then connect to those as a printer on our Mac's and its worked without problems ever since.