News:

Main Menu

Maintenance Contracts

Started by Goodgulf, October 02, 2007, 08:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodgulf

Who does and who does not run a software maintenance contract?

Any info would be appreaciated

John
Let's Eat

kermit

Quote from: Goodgulf on October 02, 2007, 08:22:30 AMWho does and who does not run a software maintenance contract?

Any info would be appreaciated

John

What do you mean by"run"? and what software?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Goodgulf

We pay Trueflow a yearly fee for help with any software problems.  As we have not needed their assistance for the past year, I am trying to justify the expense of the maintenance contract.
Let's Eat

kermit

Quote from: Goodgulf on October 03, 2007, 06:14:22 AMWe pay Trueflow a yearly fee for help with any software problems.  As we have not needed their assistance for the past year, I am trying to justify the expense of the maintenance contract.

Yes. I pay every year to Rampage ($1750), gmg ($795), Juniper - all my firewall and internet security ($633) and Sage (accounting software - $1500)...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

aprilmarie

We use it weekly it seems. Sometimes more than others. I just came into this company and I constantly have questions to its behavior.
so far I'm not a big fan. Handles trapping horribly and i'm always calling about it. I guess we need to upgrade and buy the trap editor.
Boss doesn't like to spend money. Hell we don't even have Pitstop!
 :P ???
April Pinkerton

Graphics Manager
IMAGE CONCEPT
8200 Sweet Valley Drive
Valley View OH 44125
216-524-9000

Goodgulf

We could not operate without Trap Editor.  I'm just curious if everything operates fine now, do we still need the maintenace contract?
Let's Eat

ninjaPB_43

We didnt renew ours after the first year, and I didnt have to call at all the 2nd year, so I dont think there's any way I could have justified the contract for that 2nd year..

I even had to set up the platesetter for a new size plate when we put in a new press, but worked it all out myself..    the only thing I think I miss is the preventive maintenance that the tech would come in and do, like greasing and checking lasers and such..   but by already saving that 2nd yr fee for a contract when and if something goes down, it'll just cost us that amount(probably end up being less than the contract)..   

I guess it depends on how much you are or have currently needed to call them..    I only had to call once the 1st yr, hardly worth the price of the contract.

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Depends on how much of a resourceful, geeky gangster you are. The owner of my shop knows I can fix almost anything and he's a gambler so he rolls the dice and we run without a contract. . So far, I've been able to fix almost everything and the rare occasion we need outside help has still ended up costing less in the long run than a contract.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Goodgulf

Thanks for the replies.  After what happend on Monday I think we will keep the contract for another year.
Let's Eat

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Goodgulf on October 09, 2007, 01:05:07 PMThanks for the replies.  After what happend on Monday I think we will keep the contract for another year.

uh oh.  that doesnt sound good...   care to share some details about your day?
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Goodgulf

Got a bug on the server, our IT guy on call came in to the rescue.  Did not like the way the C drive was configured.  Began moving files around.  That was Friday, he got the bug out and everything worked when I left.  Well he came back in over the weekend - Monday, the Trueflow system did not work.  We are sitting dead in the water.  Called Screen, had to re-install entire software.  Four hours later, we are up and running.  Boss is not a happy camper.  Note to self - do not let IT person ever touch that machine again.

Let's Eat

Edgar

Hello guys.

We don't have had any maintenance contract since arrived our two PTR. They're 4-2 years old without having to call a service guy. Only have to call for diodes replacing when warranty was active.

For server issues, I only call to Dell to solve the problem and it takes me 1 day to solve the only one issue I have had with the server. In that time I have to install Trueflow in another server with a backup file. We don't stop running our ctp's.

Our PTR's had some problems but no that BIG to replace parts. Only cleaning sensors or repositioning some cables because design issues. About replacing trail clamps is easy to do.

Anyway, I think that in the future I would have to call a service guy but there's no justification to pay for a service contract in our case.

Ear

Hey Edgar, that cable repositioning thing you mentioned, is that to stop exposure head errors? The little brown/black cable? I have a PTR 8000 and have been moving that little cable around to get it to stop. It will behave for a while but the wire will get its self up against something and it will start back in. Have you dealt with this?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

pspdfppdfxhd

This may be a little off topic but probobly useful none the less,

Agfa wanted about 15 grand a year for a service contract on our rip, imagesetter etc. and our management decided to pass on that and get some kind of insurance plan on the equiptment. It was much less and paid for itself over the first couple of years easlily but I must add, in Agfa's credit I think, that we haven't had any major problems in the past 5 years! I mean the quality of the Agfa products have been very good or we are just shit-ass lucky!

Edgar

Hey Earendil! How's going?

I don't have had problems with the exposure head. Seems that the exposure head cables are well in our PTR's. The cables I was talking about are that connected to the plate output sensor. When the plate path is going down, it pull the cables so disconnects the sensor.

What message is showing your PTR's display?