12pg Impo got me like Huh??

Started by Slappy, December 18, 2017, 09:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I vaguely remember our training person showing me Stripping Sheet templates, it's a little fuzzy though. FO rmixed sheets I've been doing a 2nd Workflow which isn't bad, got the plating guys pretty trained on it at least.

No hurry, hope ya feel better soon!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Thanks Slappy!
Yeah I wasn't trained on the Stripping sheet templates too much either, and not at all with pagination mode.
but those certain jobs, knowing pagination mode is the way to go.

Tracy

Here are Diddlers instructions, It's for a 16 and 12 on different sheet sizes, that's why there are 2 plate icons.
Practice this till you get it and you can do any layout.
It's all about the stripping sheet templates being correct, let me know if you need help with the creep or your templates.
The one Called Diddlers is just an enlargement of his screenshots that I printed out to see better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol3f9u4iwkjwf8g/XMF%20pagination%20guide.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8tsamhxy644n4b/Diddlers.pdf?dl=0

Jerry

This looks like it was solved but I wanted to add my two cents. We use job templates with hot folders which makes a 12pg imposition as simple as dragging and dropping a pdf into a hot folder. This same imposition template works perfectly with any number of pages requiring a work and turn (12. 20, 28, etc). The imposition template is set up with sheet one being the 4pg WT and sheet 2 set as the 8pg SW. If there are more than 12 pages, additional 8pg signatures are automatically added as needed. The only reason I have to actually open the job is if I need to move the WT to the center of the book. (move sheet to end)

Slappy

Jerry,

That's what I'm working towards also, at least having the Templates working properly. We don't do a ton of these layouts yet to warrant Hot Folders but that's an easy enough step once I'm confident of the basic impo being right.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on December 29, 2017, 09:27:21 AMHere are Diddlers instructions, It's for a 16 and 12 on different sheet sizes, that's why there are 2 plate icons.
Practice this till you get it and you can do any layout.
It's all about the stripping sheet templates being correct, let me know if you need help with the creep or your templates.
The one Called Diddlers is just an enlargement of his screenshots that I printed out to see better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol3f9u4iwkjwf8g/XMF%20pagination%20guide.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8tsamhxy644n4b/Diddlers.pdf?dl=0
Ooooooh, a tutorial!! They're my favortist - thanks guys!

Slappy

So I'm trying this again, for a 164-pg Cut & Stack going to an outside Bindery. When I get to the 3rd step "Add sheet" none of my Stripping Sheet Templates I made (using the bindery peoples' instructions) show up. I set them up in an "regular" Impo then did a Save As Stripping Template.

Do I have to go into the Admin->Templates->Stripping Sheet Templates and make them all manually instead?

Tracy

So your doing this in pagination mode?

go look in your stripping sheet templates from admin and see if it really is in stripping sheets
looks like you may be saving it as an imposition template.

what are your specs for the cut stack I may have an easier way for you.
sheet size, front and backs?

when you save a stripping sheet template you have to do it from here (screen shot)

Slappy

Hmmmm, I need to revisit this-I'm saving it from a different area. I as in the "Signature" tab instead of "Sheets."

Quote from: Tracy on April 05, 2018, 09:31:40 AMwhat are your specs for the cut stack I may have an easier way for you.
sheet size, front and backs?
Thanks, but I planned this all wrong anyway, it really gets set up like a Perfect Bind, folded sheets that trim 4 sides since they're ending up as squarish spiral bound books.

Tracy

yeah it's kind of weird, Stripping sheets must be saved in the sheets section.
if you save it anywhere else it will be an imposition template.
also when you add a stripping sheet (not in pagination mode) you have to add from there too.
your in the same place i was, they don't tell you this stuff in the training.

Tracy

you know you can select cut and stack right?

Slappy

Yeah, which is how I started but - and even when I used the correct impo numbers, it got really weird at the end of the set & started adding MORE than the required pages. Caveat: There's a single 16pg sig and THEN a 4pg W&T form too. I'm amazed it's all working honestly, and I ran lasers of the full impo & folded everything down to be sure.

AaronH

Do you have it set up as a Perfect Bind in XMF or Cut and Stack? I'm not too familiar with Pagination Mode but we do perfect binds quite frequently in my shop.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris