Recomendations for best RIP station monitor

Started by rickself, October 13, 2011, 09:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

I have to buy a monitor for our new Harlequin rip station. $5500 bucks for the rip installed on a pc and you don't get keyboard, mouse, or monitor?
Okay then.
I'm thinking of 24-27" LED, either a Viewsonic (my choice and cheaper than most monitors) or the boss wants Dell or HP monitor. Any difference when checking traps and separations? It has to sit on a desk so the wall mounted Sony Bravia is out, darn.
As always, thanks for the input!
Rick
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Joe

I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to monitors. They are a disposable item to me. I buy cheap and dispose and get a new one when that one craps out. Frailer will be along to scold me later. And point you at a really good Dell. In the meantime...here is his stickied topic on the subject.

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=3915.0
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

If it's not used for critical color, you can use just about anything. As far as viewing traps and seps, bigger is always better.
We view our 1 bit plate tifs on a 42" Sony.....     Traps as big as your head!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

rickself

Quote from: david on October 13, 2011, 10:16:17 AMWe view our 1 bit plate tifs on a 42" Sony.....
That's just wrong!
Make room for a recliner and apartment sized fridge to keep the beverages cold.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

DigiCorn

Quote from: rickself on October 13, 2011, 10:25:23 AM
Quote from: david on October 13, 2011, 10:16:17 AMWe view our 1 bit plate tifs on a 42" Sony.....
That's just wrong!
Hell! If color isn't critical, you can go get a 46" Plasma at Target for $399
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

That's just wrong!

Yeah, "they" wanted the impose files to be as close to "actual" size as possible. So, with 40" presses, you need a 40" monitor.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

rickself

Quote from: david on October 13, 2011, 11:20:32 AM
That's just wrong!

Yeah, "they" wanted the impose files to be as close to "actual" size as possible. So, with 40" presses, you need a 40" monitor.
I think I'll try that approach. After all, it IS a 40" press...

Joe

A 40" LCD TV is cheaper than a monitor of the same size. We have 42" Visio LCD TV's on our presses. Not for critical color though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

my old company bought a 72" plasma for - get this - viewing the schedule board during production meetings.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

G_Town

Quote from: t-pat on October 13, 2011, 01:19:24 PMmy old company bought a 72" plasma for - get this - viewing the schedule board during production meetings.

We have one each for two of our presses for just the color control, damn shame.

frailer

Consider yourself scolded, Joe. And rickself, head to last post. The others may be a bit dated.
Go to DELL's site, look for Outlet. See what's there. Over here in OZ, they're running out the predecessor; no slouch, but not LED, I think. Try and stick to the 'UltraSharp' category. The others are mostly TN (crap) panels, not IPS.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

As soon as you're talking about colour fidelity you're not talking DELL, or Apple, for that matter. There are some great EIZOs and NECs at entry level now that will give very acceptable colour, but they're around a grand. Still a lot cheaper than 5 years ago. We trialled an NEC2090UXi here, back then. When it was calibrated I almost go goosebumps at how good it was to view a quality image. You could literally see the (24 bit) depth in it. But that's me. Others may have yawned.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.