Epson 7900 - Out of register?

Started by ninjaPB_43, March 14, 2018, 03:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Are they ripping in same workflow?

Farabomb

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 15, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: delooch on March 15, 2018, 09:52:58 AMcould it be the carraige belt is worn?

In my mind if the carriage belt began malfunctioning the print would error out altogether - maybe I'm wrong on that though.
Since it's one color I'd rule out any part of the transport mechanism.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Tracy on March 15, 2018, 01:51:29 PMAre they ripping in same workflow?

No. Each proofer has their own RIP, but both are setup identical running EFI Fiery XF v. 6.4
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Since the difference is as slight as you say could it just be a tolerance difference from one to the other? Can you check earlier proofs from the offending printer and see if it ever printed as sharp as the other one?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on March 15, 2018, 02:38:55 PMSince the difference is as slight as you say could it just be a tolerance difference from one to the other? Can you check earlier proofs from the offending printer and see if it ever printed as sharp as the other one?

We found a proof from 2012 in the stack and it was clear of the issue - so it is something that developed sometime between 2012 - 2017. (trying not to laugh my ass off)  We have a stack of old proofs, all time/date stamped, but I don't think anyone here wants to sit down with it (or has the time to) and try to narrow down a more narrow date range as to when it first started.

I'm starting to think it is something with one of the nozzles on the light light black, and possibly one of the cyans. An issue that a tech is going to have to come in and look at. May end up getting a whole new head again. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

AHA....a simple solution. Get in a time machine and go back to 2012, make the proof, then bring the proof back with you to present day. While not a scientist/physicist I admit there may be a flaw or two with this plan but I do drive right past a Holiday Inn Express every night so I am feeling confident with this solution.

(I suspect a new print head will take care of it too but that isn't nearly as much fun as the above)

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on March 16, 2018, 08:12:16 AMAHA....a simple solution. Get in a time machine and go back to 2012, make the proof, then bring the proof back with you to present day. While not a scientist/physicist I admit there may be a flaw or two with this plan but I do drive right past a Holiday Inn Express every night so I am feeling confident with this solution.

(I suspect a new print head will take care of it too but that isn't nearly as much fun as the above)
Yeah. Doesn't your shop have a DeLorean?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 16, 2018, 09:09:16 AM
Quote from: Joe on March 16, 2018, 08:12:16 AMAHA....a simple solution. Get in a time machine and go back to 2012, make the proof, then bring the proof back with you to present day. While not a scientist/physicist I admit there may be a flaw or two with this plan but I do drive right past a Holiday Inn Express every night so I am feeling confident with this solution.

Yeah. Doesn't your shop have a DeLorean?

Pitstop and a DeLorean...tools #1 and #2.

ninjaPB_43

No!   

:facepalm:

Entering a ticket with the Support team now to request one.  :popcorn:

DigiCorn

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 16, 2018, 09:21:35 AMNo! 

:facepalm:

Entering a ticket with the Support team now to request one.  :popcorn:
When you get it, wait it out until July of 2017, and then put a ton of money on the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. Then hop back in, come back to the present day and retire.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 16, 2018, 09:30:11 AMWhen you get it, wait it out until July of 2017, and then put a ton of money on the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. Then hop back in, come back to the present day and retire.

Oh come on, it's not Gray's Sports Almanac.    :toaster:

JohnO

Could it be the platen gap?
Adjusting the Platen Gap
If the print quality is not satisfactory when printing on very thin or very thick media, you may need to adjust the Platen Gap setting.
Note: If you notice scuffs on the first few inches of your prints, this is caused by paper curl and print head strikes. Make sure your paper is flat. You can also try changing the Platen Gap setting to Wide. If that doesn't solve the problem, try changing it to Wider.
Press the Menu button.
Press the down arrow button to select Printer Setup and press the right arrow button.
Press the right arrow button to select Platen Gap.
Press the up or down arrow to select a platen gap setting and press the OK button.
Note: To avoid damaging the printer, do not select the Narrow setting when loading thick media.
A check mark appears next to the selected setting.
Press the  pause/cancel button to exit the menu.
The platen gap symbol on the LCD screen changes to match the new setting.

Farabomb

It's certainly worth a try but I'd think if there was an issue with the platten gap all colors would show the fuzzies, not just the light light black.

You can also attempt to do the windex trick. Free the head, unplug it and park the head over a paper towel soaked with windex. I'd read it can help with clogged heads but it may be worth a shot.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

ninjaPB_43

I'm on vacation next week (family cruise to Roatan, & Mexico yippee!)  We have an Epson tech coming in the week after I'm back - I'll update this once I know what they find.

ninjaPB_43

SUCCESS!!!!!   :banana:

Here's the update... 

We had the tech come out and they cleaned EVERYTHING inside and out.
We reran the auto head alignment, no go.
We did the manual head alignment, no go.

Finally they came back out today to try one last thing before ordering a new print head...  They did a Printhead Slant Adjustment, which consists of loosening screws inside and tilting the printhead back/forth & side to side until the test sheet lines are straight, and parallel. Proofer now back in registration, and avoided a costly new printhead. :ninja: