Creative Cloud to stop including Pantone Libraries!!

Started by abc, December 08, 2021, 05:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

So, will we have to push clients to use Pantone Connect instead? I'm really not sure how designers or providers can use the Adobe products without integrated Pantone support.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Oh, yeah, another thing for clients to learn. Like they haven't yet learned to use what they have correctly yet.

It does look good on their screens without Pantone Connect, ya' know.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

All the features I just don't need. I simply need pantones that somewhat accurately appear on screen for proofs and be able to make plates. Hoping Pantone Connect Basic which is free will let me continue to do this. Gotta love these brand new features that take things away!

scottrsimons

Maybe we all will get lucky and everyone will switch to only using CMYK? Or better yet LAB? Or RGB? Maybe we will stop using Spot colors in printing, because print is dead, right?  :sarcasm:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

orka81

Life turns on the head of a dime, yet somehow we muddle through

Foozball

Quote from: scottrsimons on December 13, 2021, 07:21:22 AM
Maybe we all will get lucky and everyone will switch to only using CMYK? Or better yet LAB? Or RGB? Maybe we will stop using Spot colors in printing, because print is dead, right?  :sarcasm:
I miss straight up CMYK printing!!

So 12 months ago, we start this "CMYK +2 PMS" push, which is cool and going pretty well, as we move away from a lot of HEX-Color builds where the volume isn't worth it ... 
And now we are lost ... in a sea of blood sausages who believe adobe will get it right, despite never editing a file.  :banghead:

On the up-side - my unpopular stand/rant about "DO NOT mess with the color proofs ... don't be CHEAP." is looking pretty sweet now!  :dev2:

Syphon

Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Tracy

Holy cow! I just read this!
sheesh and Joe's retired dang it!!  :laugh:

Possum

Oh oh. Now you'll have to contribute to his retirement fund to get any help.

:lmao:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 04, 2022, 01:19:45 PM
Holy cow! I just read this!
sheesh and Joe's retired dang it!!  :laugh:

Who? Did what? :rotf:

Right now I'm freezing my butt off. It is nice not having to get out in it to go to work though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Lucky duck, I'm still working from home because I can't drive yet.
Not feeling like going back, back on the 18th tho

jwheeler

Pantone has provided an explanation in this article:https://creativepro.com/pantone-color-libraries-are-leaving-the-adobe-apps/

Key notes:

• Pantone VP explains: "...the future of Pantone colors in Adobe products lies in add-on software, Pantone Connect, which will let the color systems company sell complete and up-to-date color data directly to its own users. . .Pantone was unable to actively update the library to correct any changes to the color data or to update it with new colors," Cheng told CreativePro. "We had to find a way to address user problems regarding these outdated libraries.""
    • "On top of the usual Adobe Creative Cloud subscription plans, Pantone Connect will cost $7.99 per month or $35.99 for a full year for the first year and $59.99 annually thereafter."
    • "Nothing will prevent a user of the affected software from creating a brand-new color swatch as a spot color, selecting a color using RGB sliders to match the printed Pantone chip."
    • "Users of Photoshop on the Mac M1 processor will find that the Extension won't load at all, as Adobe has changed the file format for add-on software. Users wishing to access Pantone Connect and other Extensions will need to run the Intel version of Photoshop under Rosetta 2 or downgrade to version 22.2.0 via the Creative Cloud app."
    • "Existing documents—both native application documents and PDFs generated for publication or distribution—will be unaffected by any changes, with essential color information (though it might be from data that Pantone says is long outdated) remaining embedded in the documents that are created with current tools."

Possum

Easy peasy, right?

Does the word SNAFU apply here?

abc

bornrd

macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings