News:

Main Menu

HELP!

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, March 31, 2023, 08:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

I being attacked for print errors related to exporting pdfs to impose from QuarkXpress 2021. First of all they won't trap on our rip. I told the client 10 years ago to stop using Quark but he would not. He gets a variety of pdfs from various suspicious sources that cause problems. Half of the ads I generally have to rasterize in photoshop.

So do any of the professionals on the forum want to back me up in case I need to go to court? Like they indict me like Donald? Please keep jokes to a minimum, my hair is falling out, turning gray and am starting to look like Bernie Sanders.

HELP!

Just_A_Mac_Guy

One of the biggest dilemmas in prepress is the belief that any PDF is a perfect PDF. Most designers and Ad people think that the term High Res PDF or Print quality PDF is OK. AFAIK, there are still only 2 industry standard PDFs X1A and X4.
You can argue about any other variants but the professional print industry is slow to change. Adobe's attempt to change Illustrators native file format not withstanding.

A client who insists on using Quark should still be obligated to supply a prepress capable PDF, or accepts the way you make it work.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, but making it work is becoming more and more difficult. We had pdf's supplied in his magazine for the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT FOR FRIKKS SAKE and it was made in Canva. Didn't have a problem with those magically.

DCurry

Are you placing the supplied PDFs in Quark? If so, that's the issue.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 31, 2023, 08:24:46 AMI being attacked for print errors related to exporting pdfs to impose from QuarkXpress 2021. First of all they won't trap on our rip.
Most of the problems I had with quark pdfs is fonts. It wants to make them invalid, and will fail to RIP.
You could try outlining the fonts, but that may add more crap to an already jacked pdf.

my .02
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DCurry on March 31, 2023, 09:00:50 AMAre you placing the supplied PDFs in Quark? If so, that's the issue.
No, we get the Quark "file" and he places the pdf ads in Quark. We have to output pdfs from Quark to impose to print.

Never could figure out why the exported pdfs from Quark don't trap properly. Mind boggling. Just another workaround issue to deal with.

Joe

I have no idea why you are having issues with Quark. It has been well over a year since I had any Quark issues. >:D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

I could have predicted that comment would come!

Joe

It is like crack. I can't stop myself.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Well, now I'm curious - can you upload a PDF that won't trap for you? I want to see what Prinergy will do with it.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pspdfppdfxhd

I can, but I am going out the door in a couple of minutes so I will do it next week.

Tracy

I would try placing that quark pdf in indy and see what happens
I don't remember enough about quark to help tho

pspdfppdfxhd

Frigg it. It's friday. His 3 issues are done for another 3 months. Maybe i will win the lottery and not have to deal with the next wave of misery . Cheers!  :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Tracy on March 31, 2023, 12:25:16 PMI would try placing that quark pdf in indy and see what happens
I don't remember enough about quark to help tho
It blowed up! It blowed up real good!

andyfest

I didn't know that Quark was still alive. I thought it died a quiet death years ago. I like Tracy's idea of placing the Quark-abomination pdf in Indy and see what happens. I would try a variety of options for that matter. Place it in Illy and re-export a pdf? You never know what might work.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro