Converting Black & White To CMYK

Started by Tracy, December 22, 2022, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I'm wanting to convert a black gradient image that is in illustrator to CMYK
I'm ok converting it in photoshop also, don't think this gradient is going to print well in black
its a bunch of gradient shapes on top of each other, so I don't want to convert each gradient.
just the whole thing together

Tracy

Nevermind  ;D
duh go RGB then CMYK

David

I was going to mention that...

:))
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

Hey, blame the cold weather numbing your brain. Oh, that's right, you don't have any. :))
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

swampymarsh

As not all CMYK spaces are created equal, two things to consider:

1) Convert to a CMYK profile that is suitable for your intended printing condition

2) If there is a high GCR ratio profile available for your printing condition, then it may be a good idea to use it for B&W CMYK (less CMY and more K)

Tracy

Thanks Swampy!
I ended up converting it in Illy, profiles are like kryptonite to me
working by myself for so long I had to teach myself a lot, so grateful for B4print.
profiles are not something I could teach myself except the basics of Ink density etc..
but blacks are definitely interesting and they definitely can come out bad!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 03, 2023, 09:22:18 AMThanks Swampy!
I ended up converting it in Illy, profiles are like kryptonite to me
working by myself for so long I had to teach myself a lot, so grateful for B4print.
profiles are not something I could teach myself except the basics of Ink density etc..
but blacks are definitely interesting and they definitely can come out bad!
Also all photos are different. What works for one may destroy another. You can setup actions in Pitstop to use different color profiles. I always prefer to just run the action on selected objects because if you have multiple images on the page or document...running the same action on all at once can have undesired results on some images. My goto profile for most things was to set Acrobat Color management to this:
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 9.52.22 AM.png
And then setup Pitstop to use this:
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 9.52.49 AM.png
Worked most of the time although sometimes I would darken the shadows with Pitstop Curves corrections after using the above settings. Pitstop Curves could be added to the action if you think it needs it all of the time.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

whoa thanks Joe, It actually makes sense to me.
I do get pretty large jobs where I have to adjust the "Black" images
I have created an action to do curves and I do the select objects too
I will try this acro profile next time I get one
also Pitstop webinar was talking about Black Point Compensation on a previous webinar
I made myself a note to rewatch it, I was working during the webinar
and he started talking about Black Point Compenstation and I'm thinking well that's important
;D  Joes still helping me!
You will need to punch in to get paid!

Joe

I don't know if that is good or bad that I still remember all of that stuff. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Keeping that elderly brain active Joe, highly recommended! Should stave off cognitive issues.