"Paint" color balance?

Started by frailer, February 06, 2008, 03:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Is it possible to set up a color balance correction setting...[Image>Adjustments>Color Balance]...and then "paint" it over an image, as you might with the History Brush; doing,say, a "Linear Dodge"...where you can set the Opacity, Stroke weight, and hardness. Had one today in a PDF. Managed to open it in PhSh, Lasso the areas, set the Col Bal, but would much rather have painted it in.
BTW, had PDF open in Acro 7, but when I tried to open in PhSh CS3, wouldn't open properly, as it did in PhSh CS2. Didn't have time to buggerise about with it before I returned to shulsh'n'scrub of CTP dev.  :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

I think that is doable. Seems it should be anyway. If I get a chance I'll see if I can come up with something.

What is it telling you when PSCS3 won't open an image? I'm using it with Acrobat 7 and it seems to be working okay for me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LRob

totaly doable
First you make a curves layer with the correction. Then you hide it behind a mask. Then you make the paintbrush color white and on your mask paint the area that needs the correction.
I do this all the time, but it has to be done in layers. To make an adjustment layer all you have to do is click on the half white and half black circle at the bottom of the layers palet. 

jezza

I chatted with frailer regarding this yesterday (Wed) morning - damn time difference - and using layers isn't an answer in this circumstance.

correct me if I'm wrong frailer
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Yeah..that's my understanding of it, well according to the Acrobat Bible guy. Do what you like in the existing file; just don't add any new layers, otherwise you can't Save the PhSh file, and then subsequently "save back in" to the PDF. Maybe there's a workaround on this, but haven't come across it yet. So you're restricted to doing adjustments with Tools, but without the luxury of any new layers.
Am gonna revisit this "at leisure". If I discover anything startling I'll post back.
Thanks for the input... :cool:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Why can't you use layers and then flatten under the layers menu before saving back into Acrobat?

jezza

gonna rasterise isn't it? pdf opened in PS..

maybe I'm missing something  :huh:
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Thanks joe, I'll try that on the revisit, and shall see. Maybe what jez says applies.  :huh:

Joe

I think he is opening an image via the "Edit Image" flyout menu from within Acrobat. If he just opens a PDF in Photoshop it's going to rasterize the whole PDF anyway. Anyway, if he opens the image from the PDF via Acrobat, creates an adjustment layer like LRob suggested, paints his image like he wants to and then flattens the image he should then be able to "Save" and have the imaged save back into the PDF in Acrobat. Or am I missing something...???

Oops...didn't see your last post frailer. Are you opening the image via the Acrobat "edit image" option?

jezza

one sick prepress mofo

LRob

Yeah Joe is right. Just flatten it. Should work fine.

frailer

11:30PM Fri...back home now. Yeah, that makes sense. Will have a stab at it Mon/Tues...Yep. Am opening the PhSh image from the PDF by: Tools>Advanced Editing>TouchUp Objects>Opt./Double Click. Don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that, then flatten. Just that the Bible said: Once you add any layers it can't be saved back in. Surely flattening before saving gets you back to the original layer situation? But, can only try. Just next week, is all... :cool:

Joe

Yeah, should work. I add layers constantly and then flatten and save. Works over here.