Bloated Photoshop files

Started by jimking, February 07, 2008, 08:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Can anyone tell me why a 50x40@60dpi CMYK 8bit tif would blow up to 254mb? The images are flattened. There are no paths or masks, layers. These files should be only 27mb. Any ideas, thanks

Joe

What happens if you do a "Save As" and create a brand new file? Still 254 mb? Also, are we talking 50x40 inches?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Good Morning Joe. Yes it is inches. This is a problem someone I've chatted with for years is having, not me, and I can't figure it out. Here's the thread--http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33660
That last person posted suggests a resave as you'll notice.

jimking

Just to let you know, Joe, this guy works with large format. That's why the files are large and res is lower than usual.

Joe

Hi Jim...nice job of plugging B4Print in there. LOL :iwin:

Save As is about all I can think of if the file is already flattened and no extra stuff although I wonder if it might make a difference where it is saved? ie...local drive vs network drive. You wouldn't think so but never say never. I might have missed it but what version of PS is he using?

Zimmy3

Hey Jim,
Im not a Photoshop expert at all but I just made a photoshop document 40x50 CMYK 8bit
and it's only 544k. Of course there is no art(blank channels)W
When I was making it,the setup told me in the lower right part if the window it was gonna be 27.5.
Because it feels good !

jimking

It got figured out, here's the problem:

"Double check that it's not set to dots per cm instead of dots per inch. It's caught me out in the past!"

"OMG, christ on a crutch, of all the stupid.... How long I been doing this?
Lob's got it.

Well, at least I'll admit being stupid today.
But I did learn a lot of other things from you wilier ones."

born2print

format can make a difference too, but not THAT much.
My .psd is 1.1MB and my .jpg is 700KB...
I suspect it's a file spec "typo" like 400x500" or 600ppi or some other carbon-unit-interface issue

...OR what JimKing says above :grin:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

jezza

Sure it's not 'large document format' as in .psb? I've seen 'em do all kinds of screwy stuff
one sick prepress mofo

LRob

Tiff w/ lzw will make it smaller also

DigitalCrapShoveler

I just made the same file and got a 544K document saved as a PSD file. I am not a fan of JPEGing or Tiffs w/LZW compression because of the whole lossy problem. I don't understand people who want exact color saving files like this knowing full well that their image is being resampled.

Also, is the file 8 bit or 16 bit? That will make an enormous difference in file size.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 08, 2008, 12:00:22 PMI just made the same file and got a 544K document saved as a PSD file. I am not a fan of JPEGing or Tiffs w/LZW compression because of the whole lossy problem. I don't understand people who want exact color saving files like this knowing full well that their image is being resampled.

Also, is the file 8 bit or 16 bit? That will make an enormous difference in file size.
It's was figured out. The job size was in centermeters not inches and it threw the guy off.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Reading is not one of my strong points obviously.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

FWIW...LZW compression is lossless.

DigitalCrapShoveler

That is correct, but let me explain... If I have to decompress files due to their instability I have LOST my patience. If a database is attached to an image file that can be corrupt, and does, I have LOST my mind!

They may not technically be "lossy", but it depends on where the loss is felt. No one will argue that LZW compression is unstable. I myself have been bit too many times to ever recommend using it.
Member #285 - Civilian