Bloated Photoshop files

Started by jimking, February 07, 2008, 08:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Years ago our workflow would choke on LZW'ed tiffs. We had to open all tiffs to check. Now, forget about it.  :tonguewiggler:

Joe

Quote from: jimking on February 08, 2008, 02:07:16 PMYears ago our workflow would choke on LZW'ed tiffs. We had to open all tiffs to check. Now, forget about it.  :tonguewiggler:

Same here. Used to have lots of problems with them but not anymore.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't trust automation, unfortunately. I know damn well a good workflow would be a timesaver, but I do not and will never trust a computer to catch all the problems with a designer's crafty little brochure. I have never seen anything that actually works to a point I trust it enough not to do it myself, which I do trust. Out of 100 jobs thrown out on press from me, I have had 1 come back for a trapping issue, (automated). If I had my way, every Prepress guy would hand dissect every job that came in. Automation and workflows are the downfall of us Prepress guys, so go ahead and support your replacement, but I guarantee that computer could never do as good a job as a good Prepress guy CONTROLLING IT. Prepress is about instinct, experience and knowledge. A computer can be programmed for all of those things except instinct. My instinct tells me, if a designer can build a file, a Prepress guy should fix it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I manually inspect every page that comes through. I've yet to see an automated workflow catch the stuff I can.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Well that's good to know. I had seriously got into FlightCheck WorkFlow, spent hours and days perfecting the ultimate image convertor and flightchecker for pre-troubleshooting. I was assured by my IT guy, this is the shit. Yeah, it is shit alright, I could never get it to do what I wanted, even when it did what I wanted. With the merging of the web in print-based layout apps, it has made keeping a handle on acceptable file-formats a bitch. Before I had eps, tifs, DCS eps, the occasional pict, or metafile, but now? gif, jpg, pcx, png the list goes on and on. Plus, now that transparencies have been established, in conjunction with these screwy file formats, my job is a lot more complicated. How could a workflow possibly catch a font with licensing issues, or a corrupt jpg? It can't. That is my job.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

You mean I have to take my blinders off? :rage:

DigitalCrapShoveler

If I am to take that correctly you mean: open your eyes to the fact automation is what is going to kill your job. Yes, that is exactly what is happening right now. The good news is, the old-schoolers that know how to do all the same stuff manaully, like trap, and troubleshoot will be inexpendable. There are too many custom jobs that require custom attention for any automation to wipe us completely out. The people most effected will be the newbies, anyone who has been trained in Prepress with automated workflows already in production. The workflows dumbdown the Prepress operator by doing everything for them. If I hadn't learned how to manually trap files, I would be a slave to automated trapping, never knowing if what I was doing was correct if I had to do it manually.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 08, 2008, 03:22:43 PMIf I am to take that correctly you mean: open your eyes to the fact automation is what is going to kill your job. Yes, that is exactly what is happening right now. The good news is, the old-schoolers that know how to do all the same stuff manaully, like trap, and troubleshoot will be inexpendable. There are too many custom jobs that require custom attention for any automation to wipe us completely out. The people most effected will be the newbies, anyone who has been trained in Prepress with automated workflows already in production. The workflows dumbdown the Prepress operator by doing everything for them. If I hadn't learned how to manually trap files, I would be a slave to automated trapping, never knowing if what I was doing was correct if I had to do it manually.
I was being a smart ass. I hear what you're saying in that those youngin's knowledge of the hands on approach will be lacking, causing some to freeze in their seats when a major issue arises. I'm getting old and have been in printing since the early 70s like many others on this forum. So you're in good company.  :grin:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

G_Town

Quote from: jimking on February 11, 2008, 08:57:11 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 08:52:44 AMI have always loved you...

DigitalCrapShovele, are you insane? :yuck2:

I don't think he's insane but he's definitely a carrier of the disease. :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Ahhhh, sanity. I remember once what that was like. Of course I am insane. Anyone who would subject themselves to the inept feelings that Prepress offers has to be. Looked in the mirror lately? To quote myself... "I have always loved you." is from the movie Blue's Brothers, at the end when the two neo-nazis are plummeting to their deaths, the younger of the two looks at the other and says these words. The other just looks at his buddy, and gives that look on his face, that is the last thing I want to hear right now. zIt always throws people off.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 09:58:15 AMAhhhh, sanity. I remember once what that was like. Of course I am insane. Anyone who would subject themselves to the inept feelings that Prepress offers has to be. Looked in the mirror lately? To quote myself... "I have always loved you." is from the movie Blue's Brothers, at the end when the two neo-nazis are plummeting to their deaths, the younger of the two looks at the other and says these words. The other just looks at his buddy, and gives that look on his face, that is the last thing I want to hear right now. zIt always throws people off.

"I hate Illinois Nazi's"

:wink:

jimking

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnazis!  :machinegun: